"Offensive Halloween Costumes" in the News today?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
ofwgdgaf
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 10992

"Offensive Halloween Costumes" in the News today?

Post by ofwgdgaf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 pm

So a group is stating that "Culture" isn't supposed to be a Halloween costume. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here because this is usually a chill area but... What. Seriously you don't see Wiccans crying out when they're demonized during Halloween. But besides that I think they're lame costumes anyway. I think this generation is getting a little too offended by tiny things. How do you feel on the subject?
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -costumes/
This is a link on the article

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: "Offensive Halloween Costumes" in the News today?

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:16 pm

I think those students should be slapped, and slapped hard, then kicked out of school for being so stupid....it's people like them that end up working for the ACLU....
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:20 pm

I think everyone should think, act, dress, walk and talk exactly the same.

Such a peaceful world it would be.

http://v4.cache2.c.bigcache.googleapis. ... _counter=1
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Lillith
Halloween Master

Post by Lillith » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:23 pm

They need to lighten up. It's Halloween, the one night that shouldn't be PC! :roll:
Skin all bone-china white
O you were a vampire
And I may never see the light

Lillith
Halloween Master

Post by Lillith » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Yay Andy! I like it! :lol: :lol:
Skin all bone-china white
O you were a vampire
And I may never see the light

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I don't have a problem with the ACLU but I think these student are reaching with their campaign. I have dressed as an Indian princess before for Halloween and I have quite a bit of Native American ancestry. Nobody in my family thought the costume was insensitive and I didn't get any sideways stares from anyone either. Girls dress up as witches all the time at Halloween and you never hear anything about it being insensitive to those who who were killed during the witch hunts. The geisha thing surprised me because I seem to remember from a Japanese culture class that I took that geishas were simply entertainers. Why would it be offensive to dress as that? Nearly all costumes are inspired by something or someone. Wearing them doesn't necessarily make them offensive. I cannot even believe this made the news. :roll: That incredibly small group of students really need to focus their energy on more important issues.

ofwgdgaf
Vampire

Post by ofwgdgaf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Spookymufu wrote:I think those students should be slapped, and slapped hard, then kicked out of school for being so stupid....it's people like them that end up working for the ACLU....
Yeah, they didn't show it on the link I posted but in one pic there's a kid who's holding up a photo of a guy dressed as a terrorist. Terrorism=|=Culture

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Lillith wrote:They need to lighten up. It's Halloween, the one night that shouldn't be PC! :roll:
Amen!

ofwgdgaf
Vampire

Post by ofwgdgaf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:I don't have a problem with the ACLU but I think these student are reaching with their campaign. I have dressed as an Indian princess before for Halloween and I have quite a bit of Native American ancestry. Nobody in my family thought the costume was insensitive and I didn't get any sideways stares from anyone either. Girls dress up as witches all the time at Halloween and you never hear anything about it being insensitive to those who who were killed during the witch hunts. The geisha thing surprised me because I seem to remember from a Japanese culture class that I took that geishas were simply entertainers. Why would it be offensive to dress as that? Nearly all costumes are inspired by something or someone. Wearing them doesn't necessarily make them offensive. I cannot even believe this made the news. :roll: That incredibly small group of students really need to focus their energy on more important issues.
Yeah, like their school work :lol: I don't see any of this at mine and I'm so happy. It was nice when groups did Gay rights programs but this is ridiculous. These people can calm themselves for one day. That's like getting mad at Christmas Trees being everywhere if you don't celebrate Christmas.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 pm

ofwgdgaf wrote: That's like getting mad at Christmas Trees being everywhere if you don't celebrate Christmas.
dont give them any ideas, it's bad enough the ACLU and other "groups" dont want christmas decorations in public or on Gov property...sheesh
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 pm

ofwgdgaf wrote:
Spookymufu wrote:I think those students should be slapped, and slapped hard, then kicked out of school for being so stupid....it's people like them that end up working for the ACLU....
Yeah, they didn't show it on the link I posted but in one pic there's a kid who's holding up a photo of a guy dressed as a terrorist. Terrorism=|=Culture
Wow, whoever held that picture up gets the 5-Star Dumba** award for life. So what does this person think of those who dress up as people who have been in the news like Casey Anthony or O.J.? Or the ones who dress up as old-time gangsters? Criminals are not a 'cultural' thing. That's all on the person. Fools. :?

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Spookymufu wrote:
ofwgdgaf wrote: That's like getting mad at Christmas Trees being everywhere if you don't celebrate Christmas.
dont give them any ideas, it's bad enough the ACLU and other "groups" dont want christmas decorations in public or on Gov property...sheesh
I didn't really want Christmas decorations around campus :oops: My reason, however, was that it was a distraction. As soon as anything festive went up, students would start slacking off and pretty much start break early. Which, you know, fine if you don't care about academic performance, but nearly every semester, there was some group project or presentation that was part of the final and it never failed that I would have some of these idiots in my group that would screw the rest of us over by half-a**ing their part. That was one of my biggest pet peeves in college- people who never took school seriously :x

ofwgdgaf
Vampire

Post by ofwgdgaf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
ofwgdgaf wrote:
Wow, whoever held that picture up gets the 5-Star Dumba** award for life. So what does this person think of those who dress up as people who have been in the news like Casey Anthony or O.J.? Or the ones who dress up as old-time gangsters? Criminals are not a 'cultural' thing. That's all on the person. Fools. :?
It seems to only care about other things like the Geishas or stuff but this is just a big case of white guilt(Don't like to use that word but there even aren't any white people in that group) :?

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Sorry..I think its stupid! I agree with some of the others...this generation is offended by too much too quickly. Just silly. They need to relax

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:14 pm

johnsoneliza52 wrote:Sorry..I think its stupid! I agree with some of the others...this generation is offended by too much too quickly. Just silly. They need to relax
yup, a lot of this next generation are just a bunch of wimps, whiners, and crybabies....I hope I'm dead before they completely destroy this country, but it's started already...