Christmas

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Jack Skellington
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Christmas

Post by Jack Skellington » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Do any of you also like Christmas too? Do you decorate you homes for it as well? My wife & I do.

I want to get this:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index. ... s_id=66543

If I can't i'll just buy a black Christmas Tree, i've already got a set of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' baubles - i'll just buy more & i've seen a Jack Skellington tree topper in the Disney Store. I'll still have our 6 foot Christmas Tree up though! :wink:

I do prefer Halloween more though, hence why I post on here & not a Christmas forum! I guess you could say I love Christmas, but I LOVE Halloween! :) :wink: :lol:
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Re: Christmas

Post by iHaunt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 pm

You know, I'm not really crazy over XMAS! :? It's not my fav holiday, but I only care is presents, gifts, desserts and cash! :D

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 am

Jack Skellington wrote:Do any of you also like Christmas too?
Bah hamburger!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:00 am

Yes, we're into Christmas, too, at our house, and we do decorate the yard as well as the house. Our Christmas display in the yard includes two light sculptures, one of a reindeer, one of an angel blowing a trumpet; and we line our sidewalk with red & green candy canes which are also illuminated. The light sculptures are crystal-colored.

We are church-goers, so for us, Christmas is also a religious holiday, and some of our celebration is church-centered.

Of course, in the States we also have Thanksgiving in November. So we have three major holidays--Halloween,Thanksgiving, Christmas, bang bang bang. I think of the holiday season as beginning in October and extending until New Year's Eve. Actually, I am stubborn and keep Christmas right through January 6, 12th Night, but most people in the South don't do that.

Down in New Orleans, their Carnival Season begins on January 6th and extends until Ash Weds., whenever that falls in February. So they are partying almost half the year down there, I guess. I grew up about 150 miles north of New Orleans, in Jackson, Mississippi, but we were in a different world, never did Carnival or Mardi Gras in Jackson.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am

I like Christmas OK but Halloween is my #1.
我想念我的家

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:16 am

I also decorate for christmas but don't get nearly as excited about it, as I do for, "halloween #1!, 4ever!!!" :P
:P

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:20 am

JS, I love that tree! I actually bought a 4' pre lit, green tree for $ 10 bucks, to decorate as my halloween tree next year!! I have to spray paint it, black. The prices they want for these black trees now are as bit ridiculous. Besides, I can add my own flair. :P

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 am

XMAS is no thing for me.... :? Only Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, 4th of July and Labor Day for me! ;) Thanksgiving is okay.... all turkey meats and veggies and fruits and desserts! :)

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:36 am

My favorite American holidays are Halloween Independence Day and Thanksgiving because I like to eats the foods all day!

My home country Laos my holiday of best is Haw Khao Padap Din on August 30 - this is our celebrate of death.
我想念我的家

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:05 pm

So is it sort of like Halloween? Or the Mexican Day of the Dead? How do you all celebrate it?

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't celebrate it. It's more of the mexican culture / belief. I think it's cool, though.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 pm

ramaries69 wrote:I don't celebrate it. It's more of the mexican culture / belief. I think it's cool, though.
I guess I'm a little confused now. Are you talking about Christmas, or the Mexican Days of the Dead?

I am also interested to learn more about that Laotian holiday mentioned above.

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:
ramaries69 wrote:I don't celebrate it. It's more of the mexican culture / belief. I think it's cool, though.
I guess I'm a little confused now. Are you talking about Christmas, or the Mexican Days of the Dead?

I am also interested to learn more about that Laotian holiday mentioned above.
Sorry Murf, I didn't read the prior post. :shock: :oops: I misread the whole thing.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:So is it sort of like Halloween? Or the Mexican Day of the Dead? How do you all celebrate it?

Offer of gifts to the monks who helped bury the dead peoples. There is also festivals and party to honor dead relatives. No costume though.
我想念我的家

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Jack, I 'm not as passionate about Christmas as I use to be, but it was my favorite when I was a kid. Now a days, Halloween is number 1, and the 4th of July is a very close number 2, but I still love to follow all the old Christmas traditions. I get a real tree every year. I was never fond of those artificial ones myself. It usualy goes up on the 2nd Saturday of December, and I have a Tree Trimming Party for all the little ones in my family. We trim the tree, I cook up a special meal, and we watch a lot of the old Juels / Bass Christmas specials and listen to Christmas music.

I also observe Advent with an Advent Wreath. That's a Catholic custom where we have a wreath with 3 purple candles and one pink. On the first Sunday of Advent you light one purple candle. On the 2nd Sunday of Advent you light two purple candles. On the 3rd Sunday you light two purple candles and the pink candle. and finaly on the fourth Sunday of Advent you light all 4 candles. Every Sunday of Advent, of course, is followed by it's corresponding week. I eat dinner with the Advent Wreath lit every night I'm home for dinner.

On Christmas Eve, I exclusively celebrate Christ's Birthday by praying the Rosary, playing religious Christmas music, and lighting candles. I also prepare a special meal. After I get home from Mass, I light the Advent Wreath for the very last day of the Advent season, and allow the candles to burn down to stubs. That's when I screen the movie "The Nativity." When the candles start to burn really low, I have to remove the actual wreath so it won't cause a fire, but I bring the furning advent candles up to my room for when I go to bed, and go to sleep as the light of the Advent Candles slowly burn out and Christmas Day arrives.

On Christmas Day, I have dinner with my brother at his house. It's a rather small affair, just a few of my other siblings and one or two of my nieces and nephews. Christmas Eve is the really "big" family Christmas gathering, but I don't go to it becasuse of my family's lack of religious reverence to Christmas. I went into that in greater detail in the "CHristmas" message board in the "Othe Holidays" section.

My Christmas decorations often go up on the day after Thanksgiving, and the tree goes up in December, but because of my hectic work schedule, I take everything down on New Years Day. New Years Eve is my last night for the Christmas Decorations.

Mike