Has Jack the Ripper been outed?

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Has Jack the Ripper been outed?

Post by NeverMore » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm

A distant relative of one of the suspects says he has the knife and other objects connected to the murder. I wonder if it's too late to do a DNA comparison from the victims' remains and the slides? I would be sort of cool to see this thing solved after so much time, but then the mystery is gone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Has Jack the Ripper been outed?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 pm

I seriously doubt DNA would be good after 100 years. And the DNA would be the victims, not Jack the Rippers.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:31 am

Well, that is interesting. Several years ago I read a book by crime writer Patricia Cornwell, in which she argued forcefully that Jack the Ripper was most likely a German-turned-English artist named Walter Sickert. Sickert had been an actor in his youth and used the name "Nemo" in place of his own name on the playbill. Evidently "Nemo" (No Man in Latin) was linked to some of Jack the Ripper's letters. Also, as a highly trained artist, Sickert had good knowledge of anatomy and had a studio in the area where the women were murdered. Finally, Sickert seemed obsessed with those crimes and painted pictures reminiscent of several of them. He was married, but he never had children. Cornwell thinks he couldn't, due to a childhood trauma (she believes the family moved from Germany to England so he could have an operation on his private parts, which, she believes, were sexually ambiguous). The Ripper murders coincided with a time when Sickert's wife was visiting her sister in Ireland.

Cornwell claimed that there was some DNA recovered from one of the Ripper letters that at least didn't rule out Sickert, but Mike is correct that DNA degrades over time.

I guess we'll never know the answer to this mystery. There seem to be several candidates who can be made to have a strong claim.

Lillith
Halloween Master

Post by Lillith » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Yes we might never know, but this reference is pretty intriguing also.
Skin all bone-china white
O you were a vampire
And I may never see the light

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm

It'll be very interesting if they do ever solve it.

I watched a documentary once that claimed the Ripper was a man (I believe he was German too) who then moved to New York, where a similar murder took place. If I remember rightly he was actually arrested for an attempted murder. I can't remember the whole thing they were claiming, but it was a very interesting documentary.

I worked with a woman once who claimed that she had come across some of the letters JR had apparently been writing to the papers. :roll: I can't remember though now how she claimed she had come across these. She wasn't very reliable though, as she went on to threaten someone with a knife at the place where we worked together! :? :shock: My thoughts were, if anything, she was a distant relation of JR's! :lol:

Someday I want to do the Jack the Ripper tour in London! It's supposed to be awesome! The reviews are fantastic anyway!
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 am

I'd love to do the Ripper tour!

I hadn't heard anything about a potential JtR who moved to NYC. Sickert lived in Paris for a while, and Cornwell claims some similar crimes happened there during his residency.

Sickert apparently was a highly respected artist and is considered by art historians to be possibly the leading English painter of his generation, so he had a position of respectability in England. Some woman who wrote her doctoral dissertation on his work confided to Cornwell, "I don't think there is anyone who has studied Sickert deeply who hasn't at least wondered if he were the Ripper."

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm

When i've got some spare time i'm going to read up on the Sickert & JR connection. Thanks for the info Murf! :) :wink:
Yours in haunting;

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Everyone has a different Ripper suspect... and no one can prove who it was even with modern forensics because a lot of the actual evidence as since been "lost" (read: stolen by people in the police force who wanted souvenirs). I don't even think they have any DNA from the original victims to compare with any new DNA evidence.... and the bodies have probably long since decomposed in the moist English soil. It would be futile to compare DNA now-- there's nothing to compare it with.

I personally love the FBI's profile, which Scottland Yard had asked the US to do on the 100th anniversary of the case. Some great stuff in there. A very cool read.

If you're interested in reading what the FBI had to say, you can read it here:
http://vault.fbi.gov/Jack%20the%20Ripper

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 am

That was an interesting link, Jadewik! I skimmed the whole thing.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:34 am

So this Jack the Ripper was first serial killer to be labeled as that kind of murderer?

It is not surprising that he never caught. I do think it would be easy to get away with mass murder like that and then simply stop killing victims.
我想念我的家

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:49 pm

He was the first one to be widely publicized, I guess, and he fed the flame by sending taunting letters to the police, which helped cement his reputation, I think.

Of course, the play Sweeney Todd is based on a crime that actually happened, I believe in Paris in the late 1600s, IIRC. So there have been serial killers forever.

I think big urban centers, and the anonymity of modern life, have probably made it easier for that kind of crime to happen. Also, some say the interstate system in the US exacerbated that problem--making it easy for criminals to drop in & out of a community.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:15 pm

My favorite serial killer is probably Ed Kemper.
我想念我的家

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:24 am

I remember watching a documentary on the FBI's profile before, it was very good!

Thanks for the link jadewik. :)
Yours in haunting;

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Rising Dead Man » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:45 am

My favorite almost-serial-killer is probably Ed Gein.
Li H'Sen Chang wrote:My favorite serial killer is probably Ed Kemper.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Interesting. The FBI profile seems awful generic and a bit cliched, but is probably exactly correct.