Your job?

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Your job?

Post by iHaunt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:43 pm

I work at the cemetery as the security guard (the nightwatchman), all I do is walk around and look to see if everything is ok. :D So how about you?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Your job?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Well as you all probably know, I am a professional photographer by trade, I work at my local commuinity college, and I also have my own home-based photography business. I LOVE IT, and I would do it all again.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm

I trained to be a college English professor and worked at three different schools, two in Virginia and one in TN. However, I gave it up years ago when the last school where I worked got into financial difficulty and started cutting positions all over the place, including mine. I had two young kids at the time (preschool & infant), and my mother was terminally ill. When the dust settled, I decided what I wanted most of all was one more child, so I had her. I still think about trying to do something professional again, but I haven't taken any concrete steps toward it.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I work at carwash and in food restaurant in dishroom. I make more monies at the restaurant but I like the carwash more better.
我想念我的家

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Murf, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you indicated that you and I are close to the same age. That being the case, age discrimination is a major issue for people like us. If you really want to get back into the work force, I would suggest you consider nursing, or something medical where there's a severe shortage of good qualified candidates. I started my own photography business in the hopes that I can grow it a little and use it to suppliment my retirement income when the time comes for me to 'pull the pin.'

Mike

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 pm

I would get my own carwash someday for my retirement job. Restaurant is better monies, though.
我想念我的家

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 pm

If it's a good restaurant and the food draws in customers, it can be a gold mine. A car wash won't make you as much money, unless it's a large enough operation. In all actuality, though, if I had my druthers, I would love to own one of those 'do it yourself' coin operated car washes. They rake in huge bucks, and all you really have to do is collect the money, pay the upkeep and hire a maintenance man or repair man once in a while. A buddy of mine in town who owns two of them is a millionare.

Any kind of a food place, however, is going to be more work. Even a fast food operation is going to require you to cook, clean, and do the office work.

Mike

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Yes carwash is very fun job but not as much for money. I will never own a food restaurant because no control over staff.
我想念我的家

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Mike. I am aware that age discrimination could well be an issue for me at this point. And not having worked in my field for many years makes it pretty much impossible to get hired anyway. What I would need to do would be to research and write a book or series of essays that would draw attention to me again and make me more employable.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:28 pm

I put those things on the end of shoelaces that keep the lace from coming unraveled.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:56 am

NeverMore wrote:
I put those things on the end of shoelaces that keep the lace from coming unraveled.
Oh, those things have a name I can never remember. . . . Starts with an "A," maybe?

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 am

Agglette (SP?)
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:12 am

Ah, yes, that's it!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Believe it or not, my brother got a nursing degree, and he's almost 60, and he can STILL walk into any hospital, because the shortages are so great.

Mike

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Believe it or not, my brother got a nursing degree, and he's almost 60, and he can STILL walk into any hospital, because the shortages are so great.

Mike
funny thing about that, I was told by my sis in law (who is a RN) that because most people are taking the "easy" route and going to those medical assistant schools instead of getting their nursing degree that nurses are in high demand and are pulling in a butt-load of cash.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"