Cuban cigars illegal?

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Cuban cigars illegal?

Post by iHaunt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 am

I found it from Halloween-L Forum.... :?

Are Cuban cigars illegal? I don't think so, b/c my girlfriend told me it was allowed everywhere in all countries!

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Re: Cuban cigars illegal?

Post by Jack Skellington » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm

I know they're not in the UK! :D
Last edited by Jack Skellington on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm not sure if they still are, but there has been an embargo on Cuban cigars for most of my life because of the Cold War, the fact that the US wouldn't recognize Castro's Communist regime.

When we were in Europe on a university choir tour back in 1980, my husband (then my boyfriend) bought and smoked a Cuban cigar in Germany. I remember he smoked it in a garden of the walled city, Rothenburg. That was the only way he could legally smoke one, to do it in a foreign country. People who smoke cigars say they are the best.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:05 am

Yup. They're still illegal here in the States. People still get caught from time to time trying to bring them across the border here.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:14 am

I got curious about whether there's been any talk of lifting the embargo, it seems as of 2004, the ban on Cuban cigars has become even more restrictive. Americans are not sposed to smoke them in other countries either. Good luck enforcing that.

http://www.texcigars.com/articles/When- ... s-be-Legal

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:27 am

Think you should be able to smoke them anytime. I just smoke cigarette though.
我想念我的家

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:40 am

I'm trying to do the research in the state of Virginia and Florida here in USA.... legal or not to smoke Cuban cigars? Maybe buy it from Amazon.com online? I'll check out again... :?

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm

iHaunt wrote:I'm trying to do the research in the state of Virginia and Florida here in USA.... legal or not to smoke Cuban cigars? Maybe buy it from Amazon.com online? I'll check out again... :?
iHaunt, Amazon is an american company, it's a federal law, it isnt legal in ANY state, we are "punishing" Cuba by not allowing their major export into this country, but instead of it being because Castro was a communist, I thought the embargo was a result of the Bay of Pigs.

Also, I dont think US citizens are "allowed" to travel to Cuba unless you have family there, but I dont think it's really enforced
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Spookymufu wrote:
iHaunt wrote:I'm trying to do the research in the state of Virginia and Florida here in USA.... legal or not to smoke Cuban cigars? Maybe buy it from Amazon.com online? I'll check out again... :?
iHaunt, Amazon is an american company, it's a federal law, it isnt legal in ANY state, we are "punishing" Cuba by not allowing their major export into this country, but instead of it being because Castro was a communist, I thought the embargo was a result of the Bay of Pigs.

Also, I dont think US citizens are "allowed" to travel to Cuba unless you have family there, but I dont think it's really enforced
Oh, maybe you are right that it stemmed from the Bay of Pigs rather than the initial Communist take-over. All that stuff was going on in my early childhood, and I never studied it in school (I guess the textbooks weren't that up-to-date). So I don't actually know the details. I just know that, as long as I've been aware of it, Cuban cigars were illegal here, but not elsewhere.

I didn't know that it has recently become illegal for Americans to smoke them overseas. It's hard for me to understand how such a law would be enforced in a foreign country.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am

Well. Castro's brother, Raulo would allow some people to visit Cuba anytime they wish. Also, we can sell and trade anytime. What's so difference?

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 am

iHaunt wrote:Well. Castro's brother, Raulo would allow some people to visit Cuba anytime they wish. Also, we can sell and trade anytime. What's so difference?
doesnt matter what Raulo wants, it's the US that doesnt allow it........also, no we cant trade with them anytime, the US has stopped that...
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 am

Yes, the embargo is coming from the American side, not the Cuban. I think the idea years ago was that we didn't want to prosper a Communist country on our threshold.

I don't remember it, but at one time there was lots of commerce between the US & Cuba. Hemingway had a place he loved down there, Desi Arnaz was a Cuban band leader, etc. I think there was a lot of cultural exchange between the two countries before Castro took over.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:44 am

Murfreesboro wrote:Yes, the embargo is coming from the American side, not the Cuban. I think the idea years ago was that we didn't want to prosper a Communist country on our threshold.

I don't remember it, but at one time there was lots of commerce between the US & Cuba. Hemingway had a place he loved down there, Desi Arnaz was a Cuban band leader, etc. I think there was a lot of cultural exchange between the two countries before Castro took over.
there still is Murf but now it arrives on tattered and put-together rafts......

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:31 am

True enough. And sad.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:12 am

Well US President Obama and Raulo have already met about 2 or 3 weeks ago in Cuba so they did make an agreement to buy, sell or trade... also, let all of us to visit there anytime! Didn't u know anything else???

By the way, my grandpa asked me about Cuban cigars... what are the health affect of prime time cigars? Well it's too stronger than any other foreign cigars. Right or wrong? :?