Pann State

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Pann State

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Folks:

I've been doing a slow burn about this for quite some time since the news first broke, and I was reluctant to post this, however, I feel it needs to be said.

First of all, I know how popular the sport of Football is, and I hold no malice towards anyone who's a Football fan, or for that matter a Penn State Football fan, but I do want to say one thing.

Notice how the media is NOT making all of College Football or all of Football out to be "rife with corruption, and totaly infested by pedaphiles. Notice how careful everyone's being NOT to offend anyone, now that it's the all-so-holy-&-sacred-never-can-do-any-wrong institution of Football being looked into. What Sandusky did, IF he actualy did it, and IF he's convicted, is no less hanious a crime then it was when it was committed by a Catholic Priest. That being said, I still have not heard any filthy jokes being told about college Football coaches, and I don't see everyone displaying the kney-jerk reaction of instantly steretyping all Football coaches as either gay or as pedaphiles, as you do with priests.

When that same scandle was discovered in the Catholic Church, the jokes spread like wild fire, as did the bigotry against the entire Catholic church. Priests are now looked upon as "perverts," and "evil," and the truth of the matter is, the vast majority of priests and all other clergy are very decent, God fearing people who have given their entire lives to God. The anti Christian and anti Catholic media was down right IRRESPONSIBLE about the way they handled the <deleted> scandle in the Catholic Church, but they sure are being a lot more carful, now that Football is being investigated.

So for the record, I don't want to hear ANY MORE JOKES, ACCUSATIONS OR OUT RIGHT LIES about priests or the Church which I hold sacred any more. Child molietation can happen ANYWHERE. Pedaphiles come in all walks of life.

And that's all I have to say.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Pann State

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Well, Mike, I hadn't thought about that connection, but you are right. Nobody is implying that all football coaches are pedophiles, but there surely were a lot of jokes to that effect about Catholic priests a decade ago. I think any Catholic has a right to be steamed about that.

I suspect that many people just don't get the vow of celibacy Catholic priests take. They assume that a man has to be weird to begin with, if he is willing to take that vow. I'm not saying that's fair, but I think it is true. Personally, I think our whole culture is over-sexualized. We seem to think about it constantly, as if there weren't anything else of interest or importance in the world.

Wherever you have a lot of children you are going to find a certain percentage of child molesters. I was warned several years ago about signing my daughter up for a workshop at a children's theater because children's theaters are known to attract that type of person. I had never thought about that. Parents have to be vigilant, and I guess the Penn State thing just underscores that the reputation of a program or of a particular leader associated with it is not a guarantee that everything is OK.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Catholics and religious christian people in general have become the punching bag of the comedians, talk show hosts, liberals, non-believers and just about every one else that arent christian, it's because Christians dont "fight back" about it, they have been taught to "turn the other cheek" and so others think they can get away with it. If half of the jokes were told about Muslims it would be a completely different story, they would last about a day and that would be it.

more on point of the topic, I hope if they convict this douche bag they toss him away for a long time and put him in general population.

Did anyone else catch that the judge on the case worked for Sandusky's charity organization? They are saying she's really a far-left liberal and thats most likely why she never ordered the ankle bracelet and allowed unsecured bail and what ever else any other person in this situation would.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:48 am

Murf, it's really sad that children can't be safe anywhere any more. It seems that anyone in any walk of life could be a sexual predator. I have a photography business, and I have a very, VERY strict policy. Anyone under 18 MUST BE ACCOPMANIED by parent or leagal guardian both to the studio (which is located in my home) and for the entire time I'm taking their photo, and then when the photo shoot is done, the minor must leave with the parent or guardian. No one under 18 can EVER be alone with me in my house. That rule is for both the peace of mind of all parents in general, and to keep me safe from false acusations, because contrary to popular belief, some people do make false alegations of that nature. I miss out on a lot of photo shoots because of that, but that's tough. I will not be alone with anyone's kid, and a lot of other photographers and even doctors and dentists I know are following suit.

Spooky, you hit the nail right on the head. Christians in general, but especialy Catholics are targed by the liberal news media for jokes, ridicule and bogus acusations, and the basic philosphy is to "turn the other cheak," but that is changing in a lot of Christian Communities. When Bill Clinton was unfaithful to his wife with Monica Lewinsky, the gereral attitude of the left wing was "So What? Who cares? He's the president, not a moral leader." Recently, however, a Republican candidate was alleged to have made inappropriate advances at a women, and the liberal media is all over it.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Mike, your policy is very wise. In fact, two-deep leadership is standard in Boy Scouts (an organization my family has been involved with extensively), and for that very reason--not only to protect the boys, but also to protect the adult leaders from false accusations.

There is certainly a bias against Christians in the popular culture, and not only against Catholics. I think Evangelicals may have it even harder.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm

One of my best friends is an Evangelical, and he's one of the nicest guys I ever met. Unfortunately, he has been subjected a lot of nastiness because of his faith. It seems, however, that it's popular or 'politicaly correct' to look down through one's nose at Christianity in general, though.

As for the Catholic Church, there has allways been a general bias against us in this country as it was mainly settled by verious protestants. We even had major problems with the KKK back in the 19th and earlier part of the 20th century. My mother was harassed at school because of her faith. The other kids called her "Catlicker." My father experienced simular harassment and discrimination at his job because of it. My two aunts who were nuns were living at a convent in Indiana back in the 30s, and the KKK burned a cross on the front lawn of that convent.

So there is a prejudice there, but you could be right about the Evangelicals having it worse in some ways.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 am

Well, yes, there certainly has been a historical prejudice against Catholics, and you are right, it is because this country was settled by Protestants originally. Back in Europe, to have a religious affiliation was essentially to have a political affiliation, and I guess those old feelings got transported across the Atlantic.

Oddly, I think those prejudices may have been keener up North than they were in the South, because the South wasn't densely populated by Catholics. I mean, I read about what the Irish experienced in the 19th century up around Boston and am just amazed.

My grandmother, the one who was the daughter of German immigrants, had a Lutheran father but a Catholic mother. Her mom was orphaned at 3 and raised by nuns in southern Germany. Her parents, who would never have met in Germany (Catholics & Lutherans occupied different sectors), did meet and marry in the German sector of NYC. My grandmother intended to join the Catholic church like her mom, but my grandfather (an agnostic) wouldn't let her. He shared the then-common prejudice against Catholics, but more for political than religious reasons, since he wasn't a believer himself. So she became a Southern Baptist. Nowadays that denomination is considered Evangelical, I believe.

I don't know why the KKK would have burned a cross on the lawn of a convent, but then, my Episcopal grandmother (dad's side) had a cross burned on her lawn in Alabama when she invited the Episcopal minister home for lunch after church. He was advocating integration of the congregation, and the KKK didn't like that.

I think nowadays the Evangelicals often support conservative political candidates (at least, socially conservative ones), and those in the media who are more liberal disparage them as being anti-intellectual. The Evangelicals are not "progressive" by today's standards, although they were the most progressive in the 19th century, when they advocated for the abolition of slavery, the education of the poor, and the establishment of child labor laws. Even today, they really "walk the talk" in places like Africa and Asia, where their missions pre-date the charitable efforts of Hollywood celebrities.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:35 am

So the kkk is the group that dislikes black skinned people not religions? :?
我想念我的家

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah, they may have it in for other minorities, too, but chiefly they have been against black people. I don't think they are as active now as they were once upon a time.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:33 am

The KKK is a ghost of it's former self. Now a days it seems that only certain 'lunatic fringe' guys join it.

When my ancestors came from Ireland, they were very staunchly abolitionist, and the Catholic Church did condemn slavery. No Irish Catholic could own slaves and be Catholic. Unfortunately a lot of th e "Orange Irish" did own slaves.

You are correct. Essentialy, prejudice against Catholics was more common up North, because there were mor of us there. Catholics, particularly Irish and Italian Catholics settled in cities like New York and Chicago. My family settled in Chicago. Some of them went to work for the Chicago Crib, while others went to work in Chicago's then notorious meat packing industry.

Mike

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:50 pm

I've seen the KKK here in Texas, but it was only about 5 people on a street corner carrying signs and shouting, nothing much really, but it was kind of a hoot to see them in real life...it was odd.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

666daGorehound666
Master Reaper

Post by 666daGorehound666 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I see today that the orange hair guy who is lead witness say that the guy rape a young boy 10 year old in a shower. :x
我想念我的家

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Well again, Chang, the thing that really angers me about th is Penn State scandle is the fact that I am STILL hearing off coller jokes about Catholic priests, but I have yet to hear anything negative said against Football coaches or players. It's almost like Footall is some sort of a 'sacred cow,' but it's "opened season" on Christians, and especialy Catholic priests.

I am very disturbed by the way that entire Penn State scandle was handled, too. It seems that a lot of high ranking people in that school, put the love of a game ahead of the welfare of children.

Mike

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:58 pm

They all cowards for not fighting this guy right away and then report him to police but for sure you need to fight him first. :x
我想念我的家