Member "Touch Base" Centre

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Member "Touch Base" Centre

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:23 am

Hey everyone, I didn't see a current thread for such a topic, so therefore created one.

Just to let you know, if you shouldn't hear from me as of the Middle of June until who knows when it would be due to a massive flooding of our area. Nobody knows for sure if its gonna happen 100% but things are definatley getting worse, we have just now entered "Flood Alert Stage one" .

yes everything is being monitored by all levels of government, they have shipped us 300 military personal since taking our base away, and over 3000 more are due to arrive if the flooding does happen. Much is being prepared by many agencys. the hosptail already has another town to move paitents too, the RCMP have a temp. place to go too, and all emergencey response teams are ready to go. Most of the people here in my complex have already made their alternative housing arrangments should they need to go, but I will most likey remain at home with my babies, and just move everything I can upstairs, don't really have anywhere I can go, so will do my best.

Anyways, I could go on forever. But I just wanted a thread to let others know that if they should suddenly think I have vanished, its just that, if that should happen it only means that all my utilities have been shut off due to the flooding.

I've seen a few members in various threads asking where such and such a person went too? So I thought that if we had a thread like this, then members could post here if they were going away or what have you to let the rest of us know they haven't simply vanished into thin air.

Wish good thoughts for us over here ok, and hope we don't get our flood of 1972,that would really suck!

If I do end up losing contact with you I will do my best to post before power is shut off, since they are suppose to give us a couple days notice if that is going to happen.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Nostalgiascape » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:48 am

Damnit! Take care of you and your kids. Try to find somewhere to go. You may be able to go upstairs but what about rations and needs? Try to find a place to go!
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:56 am

Very clever, Hun and I'm sure we all wish you lots of luck!
But you won't be needing to go away, even for awhile....... we would all miss you too much!!!

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:18 am

Hi Nostalgiascape, I will take care of me and my babies ( Felines) I have been putting together 2 emergency kits, and have been stocking up on bottled water & basic foods and essentials, meds and all my babies needs. They are my priority. Our paper keeps us posted twice a week about the conditions and will increase the means in which they notify us as the risk increases. Once we recieve the 5 day evacuation orders they said they will be giving them out via, newpaper, radio, tv, and RCMP, Search & Rescue and the Military would be coming around the evacuated orderd areas door to door.
For those who have nowhere to go they will set up shelters when the time comes, but I will not go unless my babies can come with me "Not Negotaible" so unless they have a shelter that will take my babies, we either stay home, or if I can make the drive up North to my In-Laws then I can go there, but that depends on the heat cause its a 17 hour drive and I don't know how my babies would handle such a trip in high temps.
Then there is also the problem of looters :evil: Oh sure the city says that for those who would be afriad to leave their homes due to the looting problem that would occur, they claim they will have a zero tolerance on them and that Evacuated areas will be patrolled by RCMP and the Military, but in the same breath, which I understand, they also say its life before property.

But I'm s street smart woman who is very accustomed to getting by in bad situations so I'm sure I will figure out something that will sustain us.

Thanks so much for your concern and caring its greatly apprecaited Nostalgiascape :D

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Nostalgiascape » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:30 am

Okay, you had me a little worried there.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:31 am

Awww, Thanks OEJ, thats so sweet :) Trust me I wouldn't be off longer then I'd have to be, and heck maybe they will have internet at the 911 Emergency link centre they are setting up now so maybe I would be able to go there and let you all know that everythings ok.

But you know what, who knows what part of the city the dikes will breach, our whole city was created by dikes so they are everywhere, where I am I am surrounded by them as I'm in one of the high risk flood plain areas so I'm hoping the dikes around our area don't break. If thats the case and dikes in the city break elsewhere then I have myself on the volunteer list to help out. Under the interested areas of volunteering I put #1 any animals needing rescuing " Pets, livestock, wildlife, animal shelters" #2 people. You see in cases like this, animals take a back seat to humans welfare, which I am highly against, but thats life, so the next best thing I can do is be one of those who are willing to equal the playing field and put them first. there are always way more emergency people to take care of the people then the animals, and well call me backwards if you wish, but I see it as "people are better able to fend for themselves" then the other way around, especally from the emotional standpoint.

Heck I remember being on the volunteer list to go to New Orleans to help out in the animal rescue, I think the first 79 people on that list ended up going down, mainly vets, so I didn't end up going, but I did donate money to a couple of the animal rescure centres down there, I can only hope it was of some help and actually reached where it would have been needed most.

Thanks for caring OEJ, It means a lot just knowing that. :D

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:13 am

Wow, Dutchess, I hope no matter what, everything turns out well for you and your bebeh kittehs. I have a lot of family and friends who live in the New Orleans area,which was completely unprepared for the floods that happened there, your town sounds like it is really well prepared for whatever will happen.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Oh I do hope you dont end up getting flooded and have to evacuate. I can't image the stress levels people must have there right now. But it does sound like the government has a lot under control. Keep us updated if you can!!!

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Dutchess,

My thoughts, prayers and good wishes will be with you and your entire community. You just take care of yourself and your kitties. Do stay in touch if at all possible, because we will all be worried about you!!

Love,
Hooch

PS great idea for the thread!!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Dutchess,
Best of luck to you and yours. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi Everyone, Thank-You for all the well wishes and caring, It's really appreciated! And I will keep everyone posted, but I'm not going anywhere yet :) They said an evacuation order comes at stage #3, and even then only to the areas affected, so I'm hoping our area doesn't get flooded, well I hope nowhere does. this hot weather though is what is making things really scary, we need cooler weather, there's still 80% of the snow pack up in the mountains that has to come down and thats what is causing all the concern, if the weather doesn't cool off to allow a slower melt, well thats where we our problem lies.

But I'm still here & may never have to leave "so thats what I'm hoping. Again, Thanks everyone for your cares, your a wonderful & caring group of Halloween spirits :D

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:25 am

Hi DOD! Everything Ok so far?? Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. :D
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:47 am

Hi MHooch, We're not floating yet, but the river, she's a rising. We've had really hot weather, well for us, mid to high 30's again today, but we're finally suppose to get some rain and maybe cooler weather starting tonight. It's still really hot out right now and its 10:40pm, and lightening which is cool.
they are saying right now that the worst may start around the 8th and then go from there. There's still a large snow pack up in the mountains so everyting depends on the weather. You see our problem isn't mostly due to the snow pack down here although that adds to the problem, but its the snow packs up in BC's interior and BC's north, all the rivers come into our main river, The Fraser River, so we really have to worry about their weather then our own :cry:

But so far we're ok, people are really starting to stock up though at the stores, bottled water is selling like crazy!

I promise to keep you updated, we still have 2 more Flood alert stages to go up before an evacuation order is called to what ever part of town needs evacuated.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:27 pm

DOD-Be safe! I just saw this thread...I am thinking about you and your babies. I have two kitties myself and I could NEVER leave without them! I understand!! GOOD LUCK!~~!

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi MichaelMyers, Thank-You so much for your concern, so far everythings ok, but later this week around the 8th is suppose to be the starting point of it all :cry:

And thank-you for letting me know you understand about my 3 babies, everyone here in this damn complex where I live think I'm such a freak cause I said I'm staying here with my babies. They go where I go, and thats it! They would have to kill me before separating me from them, but I have a plan :lol:

This complex is just pathetic, never knew there were such crule people in this city until I moved into this complex. Guess thats way I'm a part of the Hermit Crab family now,lol :lol: