I'm a HUUUUUUGE 'Wicked' Fan....

Talk about television shows, movies, music and more!
One Eye'd Jack

I'm a HUUUUUUGE 'Wicked' Fan....

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon May 28, 2007 3:02 am

The show had it's official openning on Broadway on Oct. 30, 2003........ Let's discuss it!!!!

MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Haven't seen the play, but have read the book and enjoyed it HUGELY. I always tell people who ask me about it: "you'll never look at The Wizard of Oz in the same way again." Now the sequel, Son of a Witch, not as good, IMO. Since the chances of me getting to actually see that play anytime soon are slim to none, would you recommend the soundtrack? (or whatever you call it if it's a play?) The WW of the West was always my favorite character, and now even more so. I love a rebel (with or without a cause :roll: )

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Tue May 29, 2007 10:43 am

It's on my list of books to read, and I've heard that the musical is excellent. It's right up my alley, I'm pretty sure I would love it. I wish they would do a movie version, a la "Rent" that way I could have it on dvd.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:05 pm

My friend has the sound track in his car and plays it everytime we go anywhere. Its good - but I am a little tired of it now. I am curious about seeing the play.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Wed May 30, 2007 3:14 am

First off, let me just say that without the beautiful Mrs. One Eye’d Jack, I probably would have never discovered the sheer joy of this wonderful show. She knew about it before I did (being the HUGE ‘Wizard of Oz’ fan that she is and she just knows about these types of things) and through her, we discovered this absolutely epic achievement in entertainment history, together.
Here, read this…
http://www.wickedthemusical.com/LA/pres ... reaker.htm

For those of you who loved the book, well, I’ll just let me Mrs. explain…
“Sharon…”
“Thank you…”
As far as Wicked the novel goes neither of us has read it. Being an Oz geek, I bought it when it first came out. I read up until Elphaba and Fiyero’s affair and then had to take a break. For one thing the novel gave me a headache and I was taken aback a bit because at the time I’m picturing Margaret Hamilton’s green hag in my mind and the thought of her having an affair really threw me. I wasn’t much into the book anyway so I never finished it though I know a lot of people just love it. I keep hearing Son of a Witch wasn’t that great and right now Gregory Maguire is working on the third book in the series.

Wicked the Musical takes basically one idea from the novel, that Galinda and Elphaba roomed together at Shiz, and the creators of Wicked the Musical really ran with it. The musical is not as dark as the novel and in the musical Elphaba is really beautiful. When Elphaba and Glinda meet they can’t stand each other, but they evolve into best friends. Eventually they part ways as rivals but come together again before Elphaba’s inevitable end.

The cd…………can’t say enough about the cd. (by the way, I’m not that picky but it drives the Broadway folks nuts to call it a soundtrack, it’s technically a Original Broadway Cast Recording or just cast recording) We were first ‘introduced’ to Wicked through the cd and found it to be just incredible. We STILL listen to it a few times a week. We have bootlegs of the show which are wonderful but nothing can prepare for seeing it in person which we were lucky enough to do last September when the tour was in town. Such an incredible experience. The stage lighting alone is worth the price of admission.

Funny, Rent was mentioned because the fabulous Idina Menzel (Maureen) was the original Elphaba on Broadway winning the Tony award for that role and she’s who you’ll hear on the CD.

If you can rent a copy or even buy one if you are really into Broadway, I HIGHLY recommend the DVD set Broadway the American Musical. Wonderful Wicked footage on the last disc and in the extras. If you are really that interested, let me know. I’m a total Wicked freak and I have info and pictures and collectible info (there’s some really stunning dolls right now) out the wazoo.

For now here’s some links for your viewing pleasure:
London Trailer with the fabulous and gorgeous Idina Menzel
http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/sightsvideo.php

American Tour Trailer (not as great vocally but the visuals are great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0m6sclZkH0

And again the fab and gorgeous Idina Menzel performing the showstopper Defying Gravity on the Royal Variety Show in London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uua1u66ltV0

Sorry this is so lengthy, I do really apologize, but I love me some Wicked. :D ; Now back to your host “One Eye’d Jack”

“yeah…. What she said… :D ”
However, I would like to add that we were fortunate enough to see MY personal favorites Shoshana Bean as Elphaba and Megan Hilty as Glinda….. a TRULY magical night and performance.

We truly hope this helps get you all started on your wonderfully magical adventure that is ‘Wicked’

(eh-hem……. The MUSICAL :D )

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:00 pm

moowoohahaha! Ole Jack is at work and I've access to his posts. Anyhoo, I found the Wicked segments online from Broadway the American Musical.

The first one is about the show in general narrated by Julie Andrews. And it should be noted that to this day Wicked is STILL the biggest show on Broadway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGuBgfVghko

This second link is also from Broadway the American Musical. It shows them putting together the most touching song in the show 'For Good' where the witches see each other for the last time
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7&q=Wicked

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:59 am

Thank you SO MUCH Mrs. OEJ!! It looks and sounds fabulous...now I'll have to find a way to see it, for sure!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Halloween_Girl
Haunt Master

Post by Halloween_Girl » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:02 pm

OMG I know like the song Popular almost by heart!
Beware Beware your in for a scare
The chair is rocking but nobodies there
The owls are mocking the Ghost are stocking
Beware Beware your in for a scare!