My Halloween Story

Halloween writing, poetry, fan pics and more!
ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

My Halloween Story

Post by ScarecrowJack » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 pm

This is a story I banged out a few years ago. It's in response to years of hearing about "Sam Hain" and having an Irish persona in the SCA. It's a humor piece. I hope everybody enjoys.

Truth About Samhain, A satire

Darkness crowded the room, barely kept at bay by the light of the candles. The outlines of the room were lost in the famished shadows, which were waiting only for the candles' surrender to engulf the whole of the room. The acrid smell of the incense chocked the air, oppressing the atmosphere and curling in an almost predatory manner around the room's occupants. The figures were hunched and huddled within their hooded robes as if cowering from the encroaching darkness and needy smoke. They stood in a circle, chanting the same name over and over in sinister intonation. Samhain.
The assemblage was headed by a similarly robed figure, but his hood was thrown back in arrogance, daring the hunting shade to consume him. His short cropped hair was as black as the darkness, and his skin glistened pale in the candlelight. He stood before an ornate and elaborate alter that had been carved from dark wood into a thick and menacing shape that could be barely made out as it faded into the surrounding black. Upon it were glowing jack-o-lanterns carved with fearsome and grimacing faces, an unsheathed dagger, an empty chalice, and a live black cat yowling pitifully. He pinned a squirming creature with one hand while the other was raised high, hand open and fingers splayed.
For a moment he appeared lost in the sonorous chanting, transported by it and the squalling of the cat whose life lay in his hands. His head was tipped back, rapturously riding the energy, the power, he was soon to command. Then, in a booming voice that completely contradicted his appearance, the lead figure called out:
"Great Lord Samhain, God of the Dead, God of the Hallow-Tide, Keeper of the Darkness, hear us. Come forth on this, your night, to our summoning and accept this offering."
As the summoner took a breath in preparation to continue his invocation a new figure appeared in front of him. The new comer was male, with auburn hair pulled back in a pony tail at the nape of his neck. His complection appeared ruddy in the candlelight. He wore a loose fitting tunic with wrapped leggings over soft leather shoes.
"What can I do for you?" he asked, putting off the leader to the point were stood gap jawed. Even the chorus wavered a bit.
"Hello?" he said again. "What'cha need? Um, trouble with vandals? House egged, windows broke?" He looked around, as if just noticing he was in a darkened room. "Power lines cut? Hurry up, this a busy time for me."
"We were summoning the Lord Samhain, God of the dead," the leader explained, still nonplussed. By this time the chanting stopped entirely as uncertainly worked it's way through the ranks.
The figure rolled his eyes. "Oh, for the love of ash and thorn," he sighed tiredly. "Not again. OK, who's in charge of this bake sale?"
"I am," said the lead figure.
"Of course you are." The strange man reached across the alter and rested his hand on the leader's shoulder. "Now, we're going to have story time with Uncle Samhain," he explained slowly, looking earnestly into the other man's eyes. "You know, Lord Samhain, the Celtic God of the Dead?" When the confused leader nodded, he shouted "DOESN'T EXIST, YOU NO TALENT HACK!!!!"
The other man started releasing his hold on the cat. It quickly tried to bolt, but was deftly caught by the now very off putting strange man. Without looking at the cat, he moved it close to his chest and began to smooth the fur and comfort the terrified animal. He continued talking, his voice lower if not calmer.
"Why don't you know-nothing practitioners ever thoroughly research anything? Literally thousands of legitimate evil entities out there, and you go for the one that doesn't exist. And what, exactly, were you going to do with this cat?"
"Sacrifice it to you?" his uncertainty turned the statement into a question.
"I have half a mind to report you the to ASPCA. Fine, I'm taking the cat. Now, do us all a favor, and grow up. Mysticism is an admirable line of study, but this sophomoric display and poorly thought out ritual is the sign of a wanna-be. Next time, research what you're doing and have a firm idea in mind of who you're calling. Because let me tell you, if an actual evil god of the dead with a reputation for demanding human sacrifice showed up and you gave them a cat, your <deleted> would be in a sling." And with that, the man was gone.

I appeared outside the house, shaking my head. I released the cat with a small blessing to ensure it made it home. I hadn't been entirely honest with the young man. He wasn't a no talent hack, he actually had a bit of talent. Summoned me, at any rate. However, he was being sophomoric and a serious wanna be. Better that he left the path entirely than become some stereotype "oooh, aren't I evil" poser. The other thing I left out was there is a Samhain. I'm Samhain, I'm just not the Celtic, or any other, God of the Dead. What I am is.....complicated.
I was born many centuries ago, when the Celts still held sway in Europe and before the coming of the Romans (and a pox on the Caesars, but I digress). I was born at the end of summer, which every year was marked by this huge festival. Oh, you should have seen, it was great. Thus my name, Samhain or Summer's End, after the festival of the same name. You see, being born at the beginning of Winter to a people without central heat is a dicey proposition. So much so that my parents thought I should be named for it. But I survived, and had a nice life. I didn't mind the name so much at the time, but now I wish they'd gone with maybe Calhoun, or Finn, or Rielly, or even Patrick. And just as a point of interest, it's not pronounced Sam Hane, it's pronounced Sowan, or Saveen, depending on where you were from. If you're going to drag my name through the mud, the least you could do is get it right. But again, I digress.
Everything was fine up until that run in with Balor, King of the Fomorians. The Fomorians were a race of throughly unpleasant beings, monstrous and ugly, with magical powers. He was referred to as Balor of the evil eye due to the fact that one of his eyes could kill with a glance. He normally kept this eye closed, largely to avoid constantly tripping over corpses. Now I, being a sensible Celt, usually avoided like the plague anybody with King of the Fomorians or evil death eye in their name. But then the bastard stole my cow. Not just any cow, but my favorite cow. And not my favorite cow in the way you're thinking, thank you very much. Well, of course I had to get it back. Now I ask you, how's that for justice? To think, there's a guy with a name like Balor of the evil eye, who can kill people by looking at them. And who becomes the evil Celtic God of the Dead, to be written disparagingly about in religious tracks? ME! How in the world did that happen?
Where was I? Oh yes, my favorite cow in a purely platonic way. It was a magical cow, you see. Though I no longer remember what magical powers it had. Maybe it always gave milk, or maybe you could butcher it and it always reformed, that was very popular, and practical, back then. To be honest, for all I remember it did card tricks. That's not the point. The point is, the cow was stolen. By Balor. So, I went to get it back. And, after many trials, tribulations, and an epic poem, I succeeded. Yay me. I then went back to my nice, quiet life and eventually passed on.
Then how did end up I getting summoned to some wanker's ritual, you say? Well, I'm glad you asked. Seems somebody found Samhain the Celtic festival and decided there was a god attached. Of the dead, 'cause, you know, that just makes perfect sense. All right, it's a harvest festival true enough. But I don't see anybody linking Thanksgiving to the Dead. Though zombie turkeys could be entertaining. Now, me, I would've nominated Balor as he left his fair share of corpses in his wake. But all he gets for his infamy is a nod in the D & D monster manual. Life is so unfair, but what're you going to do?
Well, apparently nothing travels faster that completely fictitious information, and before long thousands of people are preaching about Samhain, the evil Celtic God of the Dead. And, wow, was I an <I have a poor vocabulary>. Human sacrifice, demonic entities running loose in the streets, chaos unleashed, and me presiding over all of it drinking the blood of the innocent. Clearly, a fun time to be had by all.
Consequently, the universe said "Well, if all these people say there's a Samhain, let there be Samhain." Only problem was, apparently I'm the only person named Samhain. Therefore, I was elevated to, well, semi-Godhood. But because I was never associated with the dead, I couldn't be God of the Dead. Apparently, deity-dom should be somehow related to something you did or were involved in. And what was I known for? Getting my cow stolen.
Hence, it came to pass that I became the Celtic God of Victims Rights Advocacy. At this newest version of Samhain, Halloween, I am incredibly busy. I would like to know who, exactly, decided this was prank time, in order to wring their neck. I'll show them something far more frightening than a God of the Dead. I'll show them a peevish God of Victims Rights who for the foreseeable future will be spending every Halloween scraping eggs of windows, pulling toilet paper out of trees, cleaning up smashed pumpkins, and putting in cameos at the occasional poser Halloween ritual.
So, this Halloween, if your pumpkins get smashed, your decorations get stolen, your inflatables get slashed, your house egged, or toilet papered, or any of the other innumerable annoyances of the season, just remember to call on me, Samhain, the Celtic God of Victims Rights. I feel your pain. My invocations are many, but the most common is "Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!"
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.