Let's Talk About Trick or Treating

Discussion of general Halloween topics
oboingo76
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 10992

Let's Talk About Trick or Treating

Post by oboingo76 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 am

So, I have been thinking a lot about this topic over the past few months.

Here's the story - we had a home built and moved in about 4 years ago. It's a newer development with about 12 houses, but it's at the top of a large hill and off of a pretty nasty road that you don't want to walk on (not a busy road, but people drive fast and there are many blind spots because of the hill and curves). We sold our house and are about to move out next week. WHY did we sell this newly built home that we put so much time and effort in to? Our neighbors. Yes, they're horrible. They are nosey, over the top in your business, need to know everything and talk about it with everyone. In addition, the people right next door to us have two daughters who are not disciplined AT ALL and as a result, they bully the other kids on the street and I have a 6 month old daughter. This is the verbal excuse I use whie discussing all of this with my husband.

However - a HUGE issue I have with this street is their hatred of trick or treaters and their trick or treating behaviours in general. First off, they all gather to bring their kids TOTing at like 5pm - it's still incredible light outside and these are the only TOTers we get. (Another problem I have is with the location - outsiders aren't overly aware of this development so they don't know to come here). When I was a kid, we didn't start our TOTing until it was dark out. We used to sit there biting at the bit waiting for the sun to hurry up and go down so we could start.

Nope, these people bring their kids around in the late afternoon and that's it. Last year, our house was the only one lit up and decorated. But what for? There were no TOTers to come enjoy it. We took a walk up and down the street and I was so upset because our street (other than our house) could NOT have been any darker. Other developments in the area attract people to park and walk through. You'd never know there were houses on our street because NOTHING was lit up, no porch lights, no interior lights, everyone deliberately had their houses as dark as possible to keep TOTers away. Sigh. It just made me angry. I don't think my husband realizes just how much this swayed my decision to sell this house and move. LOL! We're building a new house and I'll just tell you I did my homework to make sure it's a good Halloween neighborhood. Call me an over the top Halloweenie I guess!

Does anyone else have TOT issues or struggles they have to deal with?
"I don't know what's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is".

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Re: Let's Talk About Trick or Treating

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:20 am

Hahaha...I bet you did do your homework! What a shame its like that!

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 am

When we moved in our house 20 years ago we averaged 75 to 100 Trick or Treater, now we have two or three tops, all the kids grew up and moved away. :(
But I still like to decorate, I'm hoping grandchildren start coming soon, wishful thinking I'm guessing.
In 4 years we will have our house paid off, and then we might move, maybe, I love my house, to bad I can't pick up our house and move it to a Halloween town!!!

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:51 am

obingo76 that is terrible that your neighbors behave like that. Snooping and not disciplining their children. To not have your lights on Halloween night is just plain wrong. I have noticed many parents bringing their kids to ToT around 3. Unfortunetly the world is a different place and parents are wary of letting their kids go out by themselves while it's light let alone in the dark. ToTers are sparse at best at my house. I live on a semi-main road where the sidewalk is on the opposite side. So I'll get three groups max.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Oboingo, my nephew lives in a subdivision, a town home subdivision, where the neighbors and the town home association won't allow ToT at all. Additionaly, when his kids put up paper Halloween decorations that they made themselvs at school the condo association came over and told them they had t take them down. He's now allowed to have a real Christmas tree, and only association approved artificial trees are allowed. He also rides a motorcycle, andd the association recently made a ruling that he couldn't ride a motorcycle in that subdivision, so he has to store his bike at my brother's house.

So I think you are right to get out of that situation. In fact, I don't even like the newer houses any more. I much prefer my 100 year old Victorian in my over 200 year old town, which is very Halloween friendly, all though ToT is restricted from 4:00 to 7:00 and that restriction is very strictly enforced.

Mike

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 pm

I'll repeat what someone on anoher thread said. These people running your nephew's neighborhood sound like a reincarnation of Hitler and his men. Kids being made to take down paper Halloween decorations! Is that a violation of free speech or is there something protecting that?
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm

I agree there has to be some sort of line in which the association can control your lives...

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:48 am

Rising Dead Man wrote:I'll repeat what someone on anoher thread said. These people running your nephew's neighborhood sound like a reincarnation of Hitler and his men. Kids being made to take down paper Halloween decorations! Is that a violation of free speech or is there something protecting that?

You are kidding right? If you move into a housing association, which you do willinigly, you do so with an understanding of the bylaws. A housing association has every right to set any bylaws they want, as long as they don't exclude people based on age or racial reasons. If you don't like the bylaws, don't move in originally.

My condo association does not allow people that are not married or relatives to live together. That may seem crazy but when you consider that everyone that owns a unit also owns the building or common areas. People that date are more likely to break up than married people. And sometimes those relationships end badly. We don't need someone with a vendetta doing damage to the property because we all own it. If a marriage breaks up, both parties still own the condo and the building until the divorce is settled, so they are much less likely to do any damage.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 am

Makes no sense to me; however, if I was moving into an association like that, I would have to agree to the conditions. I would NEVER live anywhere like that!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am

We have inherited a condo from my MIL, and I hope we never have to live in it. There are up-sides (like not having to do yard work if you are elderly), but the rules are a PITA.

As for not wanting to live in the Halloween-unfriendly subdivision, I wouldn't like that, either. However, Witchy is correct that the "life-cycle" of Halloween in any neighborhood is tied to the age of most of the kids who live there. I have seen the celebrations wax & wane around Murfreesboro. Happily, right now there is a street quite close to me that celebrates like mad, like a huge block party or street carnival. I don't think that's going anywhere anytime soon. And the historic district downtown has a tradition of OTT decorations, and welcoming however many children in the town wish to come. That will probably continue, since the people who live there are leading citizens of the community and feel a certain noblesse oblige about it.

I adore the street masquerade and definitely want it to happen after dark. However, I try to spread out my Halloween celebration, so I can enjoy the season throghout the month. Things like corn mazes and bonfires and haunted festivals, ghost tours, etc. There are ways to make yourself feel as if you have certainly celebrated the season, even if TOT is not so big where you live.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm sorry, Boddyman, but I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes, the condo association has the right to make bylaws within reason, as to what can be done with commen areas, but I think the actual dwelling is the exclisive property of the owner, and if he wants to let his kids put u p Halloween decorations he has that right. Incidentaly those so called bylaws came into play AFTER he moved in, and they were done WITH OUT voting.

My nephew is selling his condo and hoping to get out of there soon, but with the ecconomy the way it is, he may end up taking a loss, or it may take for ever.

Mike

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Sorry man, you are wrong. I live in a condo so I should know. The bylaws will be held up in court. The interior of the home is the owner's to do with as they wish. But anything outside or in the windows falls under the association. Anything that effects the outside appearance falls under the jurisdiction of the association. Don't like it, don't live there. I understand the frustration but reality is they are legal for the most part.

http://real-estate.lawyers.com/homeowne ... tions.html
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:17 pm

As much as I hate it, its true, anything that's in public view falls under control (bylaws) of a hoa. Even your grass, bushes, trees, trashcans not hidden away, color of paint on your house etc can all be dictated. I have even heard of the hoa kicking people out of their homes and forcing them to move for non-compliance of rules.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:30 pm

And yes sometimes the associations can get out of control with power. As with most things, there are positives and negatives to them. The associations can be challenged, and even taken to court. But usually the associations have a lawyer they consult before making any changes to bylaws, which sometimes they can do without the members voting on the proposed changes.

Henry David Thoreau

Castle
Halloween Master

Post by Castle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

The apartments I live in left a letter on all our doors saying that this year, they do not want us to place halloween decorations outside. They'll only allow hanging window decorations that are inside.
>:(
"He didn't just eat their bodies, he ate their souls."