break in

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Spookymufu
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

break in

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm

okay, had an interesting morning. My boss decided to talk with me after work about a few things, and I left 10min or so later then I would have otherwise. Turns out it was kind of a blessing in disguise (sort of) as when I got home I found someone in my house trying to take MY stuff! He heard me trying to get into my door (that HE double locked from the inside) but I couldnt, so I went around to the other door that he had conveniently left unlocked for his eventual escape route, well, when he heard me, he bolted for the other (unlocked) door only to be met by me. When he realized I had blocked his escape route he ran to the double locked door, with me in chase. He had some trouble with the double locks but managed to get out before I could grab him as he was dropping some of MY stuff along the way but managed to hold onto my wifes backpack that he dumped out on the floor so he could put some of MY other stuff in it (expensive electronics, meds, and other assorted items). I chased him out side and down the sidewalk threatening his life the whole time. He eventually tripped and dropped the backpack scratching himself up on the parking lot blacktop but managed to get up and keep running with out missing two steps (I'm actually a little impressed about that). I had almost had my hands on him but realized I needed to go back and get the backpack out of the street (lot) and call the cops, so I did that and retrieved my gun from my closet that he obviously hadnt found YET, but he would have had I not interrupted his activities and waited for the cops or him to come back.
The local police are awesome! They caught the guy right across the street drinking a soda he just bought from the convenience store. He had ditched his shirt and MY cell phone along the way tho. Anyway, the police retrieved my cell phone, his shirt, and I got the other items he dropped. He had other things of MINE lined up on the living room floor ready to go tho. The police had a lot of evidence on him and they said it looked like it was a locked up case. I stood face to face with him and ID'd him to police and I heard they were going to charge him with a home invasion and not just burglary (I hope they do).
Anyway, my wife and the kids wernt home so thats good, I'm fine and thats good, and we got our stuff back, except what the police are holding as evidence, and this dumb <deleted> thief is sitting in jail right now, and thats very good.

I got my stuff from the police and they said he fully confessed to everything. He's 17yrs old and has previous burglaries under his belt. They said the charge on him is burglary and he will be tried as an adult. I am awaiting a call from the DA for the next step
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Re: break in

Post by NeverMore » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Ah... to bad you didn't get a chance to do some vigilante justice on him. But good that he didn't find your gun before you ran into him. A cornered rat can be dangerous. I'm glad you're alright.

Castle
Halloween Master

Post by Castle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Man... That sucks. It's good that you and your folks weren't hurt but still, to have just laid a hand on him would've given you even the slightest sense of justice I'm sure.

Oh, by the way, I do have a Punisher vest and various weapons.
Just so you know.
"He didn't just eat their bodies, he ate their souls."

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh my gosh that would be sooo scary!! I'm glad it turned out okay, but damm, you were lucky he didn't have a gun or found yours, and that your family wasn't home!!! I truly don't get why people think it's okay to steal other peoples stuff!!!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 pm

I wish it would have turned out as well when our house got ripped off when I lived in downtown San Jose.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Witchy, yes, i agree, it all worked out. I really didnt think about the gun until i got back to the apt and i ran to see if he had found it. He was rooting through the bedroom when i came home, i was lucky he didnt have my gun or anyone elses. My landlord said this punk used to live here so he knew the layout of the apts.
Andy, we were very lucky.
Nevermore, the responding police officer asked me why i didnt shoot him, i explained i didnt have my gun when i walked in the door, the detective suggested i get a concealed weapons permit, i might do that.
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:19 am

Spookymufu wrote:Nevermore, the responding police officer asked me why i didnt shoot him, i explained i didnt have my gun when i walked in the door, the detective suggested i get a concealed weapons permit, i might do that.
Oh right... you know what happens when people start carrying concealed weapons don't you?

They stop the bad guys is what happens! I love this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYA78ss-B-o

Damn skippy! That old man is my hero.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 am

Spooky, that's a really scary story. I am grateful, for your sake and your family's, that all turned out as well as it did.

Concealed Carry Permits are a fantastically good idea. My husband is always trying to get me to get one, but the few times in my life I have fired a gun, I haven't been able to hit anything I aimed at. I would have to practice lots & lots.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:31 am

Murf, i used to carry a weapon when i worked for the AF in S. Cal but getting a CCW is almost impossible, but its much easier here in Tx according to the detective

Morticia
Haunt Master

Post by Morticia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Oh my god! What a story! Glad you and yours are ok!
Be afraid....be very afraid!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Curious Spooky. You got renters or home insurance? I got it after I lost like $10,000 worth of stuff in a robbery about 18 years ago. Of course, nothing has happened since. I almost wish I would get robbed again so I can get new stuff.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Wow Spooky that's pretty frightening. I'm glad you got your stuff back and everyone is okay. I'm quite impressed that you had the guts to chase the guy, not knowing what all he had on him. If I came home and heard an intruder, I would run the other direction and scream like a banshee :lol:

Tee
Zombie

Post by Tee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but the possibility of the burglar finding your gun is a good enough reason for me not to own one. Our house was robbed a few years ago , also in broad daylight, and they apparently had time to make at least a few trips in and out before my man walked in on them and they split out the back door. (There was stuff all lined up and ready to go and the place was trashed.) If we'd had a gun in the house, there's a very good chance I'd be a widow now.

So glad you and your family are safe and that they caught the guy. We never saw any of our stuff again.
Tee
"What is essential is invisible to the eye..." -- Saint-Exupéry

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Curious Spooky. You got renters or home insurance? I got it after I lost like $10,000 worth of stuff in a robbery about 18 years ago. Of course, nothing has happened since. I almost wish I would get robbed again so I can get new stuff.
No we dont, but I was just told today that my MIL is buying us a security system as soon as I find one.

Tee wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but the possibility of the burglar finding your gun is a good enough reason for me not to own one. Our house was robbed a few years ago , also in broad daylight, and they apparently had time to make at least a few trips in and out before my man walked in on them and they split out the back door. (There was stuff all lined up and ready to go and the place was trashed.) If we'd had a gun in the house, there's a very good chance I'd be a widow now.

So glad you and your family are safe and that they caught the guy. We never saw any of our stuff again.
Tee, your points are very much accurate and really, it was just a matter of time before he would have found my gun, I am very lucky in every way that you mentioned. My lesson is, I need to find a new and more secure place to keep my gun.

Tee
Zombie

Post by Tee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:46 pm

I have a friend who's car was broken into. He kept the gun under the passenger seat. He came out of work and found the carjacker in his car and as he started to yell at the guy, the guy pointed his own gun at him. He was just lucky guy decided to bolt instead of shoot. Ever since then, I worry too much about "what ifs".

For myself, I have an axe handle at every door in the house - and I know how to swing 'em =P
Tee
"What is essential is invisible to the eye..." -- Saint-Exupéry