I Heard Her Laughter!

Halloween writing, poetry, fan pics and more!
Ghostwriter1983
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

I Heard Her Laughter!

Post by Ghostwriter1983 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 am

I Heard Her Laughter!

I sat down on the park bench as fall’s leaves fell one by one to the ground.
Brightly colored indeed they were, swirling in the wind. The trees had so few left as winter fast approached. When suddenly a golden leaf landed on my right knee.

I wondered what the odds were when I heard a child’s giggle. The innocence and laughter of a child and I felt my smile begin to grow. I softly whispered to the spirit "Thank you for the leaf." It was then, that I saw a little red haired child appear near the bench I sat on.

Her bright blue eyes reflected mischief and her smile was irresistible. She looked precocious as we stared at each other in silence. She wore blue jeans and a blue pooh bear tee-shirt. I couldn’t help but smile from ear to ear.
"All my friends say, you’re our friend, she said with a giggle."

I was at a loss for words just then as her smile began to fade. Then her eyes welled up with tears as she looked down at her feet. "I never got to say goodbye to my mom and dad last year. I slipped on the steps of the slide
and fell to the ground.

It happened so fast and then I was surrounded by other kids. I don't know where they all came from, but they helped me up. My name is Rebecca, but all my friends call me giggles." she said. But at that moment, her name seemed out of place as she began to cry.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek and she saw the tear falling too. She walked quickly over and with a tiny finger, wiped my tear away. You mustn't cry Raymond, because you are the voice of all children. You share within your stories, all of our feelings, wishes and lost dreams.

You see me now as once I was and I feel the warmth in your heart. You speak for each of us and what you write touches so many hearts. I am drawn to you like my friends are." she said as she looked behind her and pointed a finger.
As I looked behind her, I saw many other children were walking towards us,
each one smiling or waving.

Soon, there must of been a dozen little ones
all standing around us, nudging each other and shyly waving hi to me.
They eagerly listened to me as I told them stories that filled their faces with delight. I spent most of the day in that park and finally the daylight began to fade.

One by one children began to stand up, looking sad. Some of them began waving as they turned and vanished while others came to me for a hug.
That day I gave them something, a little bit of love that they missed. And in return, they each gave me something as well, tears of joy in my heart.

© 2002 Raymond Cook (All rights reserved)