Halloween Murder Mystery Party

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Boo
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Halloween Murder Mystery Party

Post by Boo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:12 am

This year, in amoment of madness, I proposed to my work colleagues that they might like to come to my house for a murder mystery dinner party the weekend following Halloween.

I was pleasantly suprised by the degree of enthusiasm, and then slightly horrorfied to realise that there's only two weeks to prepare and I have no idea how a murder mystery dinner should work (I've just ordered a kit off of Amazon).

Do you guys have any insight? I'm a bit concerned that it may be necessary to 'play' a character and that this may feel a bit uncomfortable for some. Is it possible to play the experience as a game without the acting part?

Cheers
B
The steeples are white in the wild moonlight,
And the trees have a silver glare;
Past the chimneys high see the vampires fly,
And the harpies of upper air,
That flutter and laugh and stare.

NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Halloween Murder Mystery Party

Post by NeverMore » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Hmmm... never done anything like this but it sure seems like a lot of fun.

Obviously you need to hurry and get an outline of the story to the people who are attending so they know how to play their parts. You may want to use a dummy as the victim so everyone can join in on the fun of trying to figure out who the killer is. Otherwise the person playing the victim would get bored.

I would think the hardest part of this whole thing is for the person who is playing the killer. They will have to be good at keeping the secret, maybe actively trying to keep the other players off their scent. Maybe pick the person with the best acting skills to be the killer?

The only other thing I can think of is that anyone who breaks character should be penalized. Don't suppose you have a dunk tank laying around?

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:20 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Hmmm... never done anything like this but it sure seems like a lot of fun.

Obviously you need to hurry and get an outline of the story to the people who are attending so they know how to play their parts. You may want to use a dummy as the victim so everyone can join in on the fun of trying to figure out who the killer is. Otherwise the person playing the victim would get bored.

I would think the hardest part of this whole thing is for the person who is playing the killer. They will have to be good at keeping the secret, maybe actively trying to keep the other players off their scent. Maybe pick the person with the best acting skills to be the killer?

The only other thing I can think of is that anyone who breaks character should be penalized. Don't suppose you have a dunk tank laying around?

I would think that you would have a drunk tank somewhere. :P
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Demonic Duck » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

I've never done one myself but I believe that is the general goal. You are given some sort of character in the beginning and are supposed to maintain that role the whole evening.