Gory or Cute?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Gory or Cute?

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:27 pm

I was curious about where everyone is on their decorating style. Do you like the body parts/gory stuff or the more tame stuff? :lol:

revelesnet
Crypt Keeper

Post by revelesnet » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:05 pm

A nice even mixture of the two always works best for us.
Is it Halloween yet? and by the way it's not makeup it's jaundice.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Personally I go for the "tame stuff," but you could just as easily call it the old fashioned classy stuff. ;)

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:14 pm

I love gory stuff. I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of kids though...so I keep the gore to a minimum outside. I pretty much just stay evil without gore out there.
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:31 pm

Blood and guts and sh** like that!!! I love 'em all!

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm not much into the whole gore thing. But then I'm not really one for cute, either....... I just like a good 'smart' story.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:45 pm

I would say I'm more like revelesnet, a mixture of the 2. Although I'm more like OEJ when it comes to the whole cute thing, I guess a mixture of Classy & Gory.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:45 am

I like a mix of the two. I've been reading up on vintage Halloween decorations, and really like those, although I don't have any right now. And I really like the sort of "classy" style that Martha Stewart puts out in her Halloween mags. But the stuff you might call gory, like body parts, etc., I like to be a little more subtle, like a jar full of eyeballs on a shelf, or a finger just laying on the kitchen window sill. Not in-your-face gore. I don't go much for in-your-face-gore movies, either.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:47 am

Yeah...when I go out and see some Halloween attraction, I enjoy the bloody gory stuff along with the other stuff, ghouls and monsters and so on.

When when I decorate, it is generally pumpkins, bats, witches on broomsticks.......50's era (and earlier) Halloween images. The older the actual decorations, the better!

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:13 am

I love the Martha Stewart stuff too...she makes such great Halloween decorations. I wish she'd go back to doing the Halloween shows like she used to. The ones she's been doing with the Martha show aren't nearly as good as the previous one. I mean...I still get my MS Halloween fix, but it's just not the same.
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:15 am

i love gory, but for my neighborhood, it doesn't work w/ all the little kids ToTing. i don't want them scarred for life from halloween
trick or treat

NATUREPIXIE
Crypt Keeper

Post by NATUREPIXIE » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:26 am

I like a mixture...I don't go overboard with the gore (just a little of that), but I don't really like cute..I go for eerie.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi NaturePixie, I just love your Avitar!

shanbanclear
Vampire

Post by shanbanclear » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I like the old fashioned mysterious kind of halloween feeling. More about the "who's there?" and "what was that noise?" kind of thing, if that makes sense. As far as decorations go, a cemetary, bats, coffins, pumpkins, monsters, etc. is what halloween should be about. I think the gore thing kind of ruins it for me. I like to look at a lot of halloween supply stores online, but it seems that the majority of it is just really gross. I don't know how disgusting, bloody, gory, mutliated body parts, etc. got all wrapped up into the halloween season.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi Shanbanclear, Don't think I've met you before, so hello & welcome, if I have, well hello again. Your idea of Hallloween sounds good to me. I think why the more gruesome aspects came about, is the fact that "everyone" has their own personal taken on what Halloween is for them personally and this is reflected in their Halloween decor. I believe in multiple realities so this is how I come to this conclusion. Just like one person may look at an old creepy house and say "how could anyone ever want to live in that ol' thing" and another would look at the newer more contemporary homes and say the same thing.
Even if someones decor isn't my style I just try and look for the beauty in it just the same, the hard work they've put into it, the creative mind behind its development. And besides, I think if we all thought the same, and decorated our Halloween themes the same, Halloween just wouldn't be Halloween.