AMC Fearfest thoughts...

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Big_Guh
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

AMC Fearfest thoughts...

Post by Big_Guh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:46 am

In my household, beginning with Monsterfest, AMC's endless string of horror films has remained an unofficial Halloween-season tradition of sorts. While I still tune in from time to time, I've been increasingly disappointed with their selections and variety over the past handful of years.

Have you guys been tuning it at all? What do you think? I flipped it on tonight, saw about 10 seconds of From Dusk Till Dawn 2, or something as equally crappy, and promptly changed the channel.

Thankfully, I've got a pretty solid horror film collection to tide me over...

Morticia
Haunt Master

Re: AMC Fearfest thoughts...

Post by Morticia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:58 am

I agree. I have been even more disappointed in Chiller and Syfy's selections as well. Hoping FX has a better one.
Be afraid....be very afraid!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:56 am

We don't have cable, so I don't see any of these TV offerings. However, we have an entire album dedicated to Halloween DVDs, so I have more to watch than I have time for, actually.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:05 pm

No cable!?! No Walking Dead?!? You're missing out on a modern phenomenon. It's better watching it on DVD anyway. The second season doesn't seem to drag on as much if you can watch one episode after the other. This season, so far. makes up for the last, and I heard it's about to get insane.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Big_Guh
Haunt Master

Post by Big_Guh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:09 pm

NeverMore wrote:
No cable!?! No Walking Dead?!? You're missing out on a modern phenomenon. It's better watching it on DVD anyway. The second season doesn't seem to drag on as much if you can watch one episode after the other. This season, so far. makes up for the last, and I heard it's about to get insane.

It is absolute hell waiting from week to week to watch. I considered doing my best to ignore it this fall, and wait to watch once I have all the episodes at my finger tips, but obviously that was a flawed plan that I couldn't stick to.

Not Halloween related, but Breaking Bad is also amazing.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 pm

And Mad Men. AMC has gone away from their mission but they have some dang good shows. I would love to see a marathon of old Hammer horror movies.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Big_Guh
Haunt Master

Post by Big_Guh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:38 pm

NeverMore wrote:
And Mad Men. AMC has gone away from their mission but they have some dang good shows. I would love to see a marathon of old Hammer horror movies.

Considering the fact that AMC arguably boasts the most quality original programming out there, along with a respectable slate of daily movies, it's a shame Fearfest has devolved like it has. I remember tuning in, what seems to be years ago, at any given time, only to find classic after classic, spanning from original "moster" films to quality modern options. I've got the day off, I'm feeling lazy, so I clicked on the tube to give AMC a chance to redeem itself. What do I find? Some low-rent, non-festive spoof entitled "Otis." What? Why? What's next? Oh, just the generation defining "From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Bloody Texas", once again, huh? Who thought this was a good idea?

In their defense, they have been showing the original Halloween quite a bit. But c'mon, why skip to 4, and, gasp, Resurrection? Halloween 2 was a great sequel, show it some love! Instead, we get to watch Busta Rhymes roundhouse kick MM in the throat! How lovely.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:27 pm

They had a lot of great movies on AMC, but unfortunately they butchered those films in order to fit them intot ime slots that allowed for all the comercials. That's the problem with watching movies on tv. Comercials, comercials and more comercials. I much prefer the DVD player personaly.

Mike

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 pm

They played Dead Silence and then Friday the 13th Part 4 one night. Granted heavy editing but Jason Voorhees back to back with Mary Shaw? The bad asses were in the house and so thumbs up Fear Fest.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 am

They pick some of the worst of the Halloween sequels like part 5 and part 8 and also they cut too much of the violence and gore. I did see on another channel they showed Nightmare of Elm Street documentary and also one about original Halloween movie by John Carpenter. I think it was Bravo channel.
我想念我的家

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:57 am

I watched 2 movies on AMC. I watced "Nightmare on Elm Street" part 2 last Sunday, and the original "Friday the 13th" last night, but as Chang pointed out, the pathetic editing really took away from the real excitement, and the comercials were too frequent, and there were too many. Again, I say HURRAH for the DVD player and VCR, and yes, I still have a VCR and I still use it for a lot of movies that are not available on DVD or Blue Ray.

Mike

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 am

I watch a little of Jason in Friday the 13th 2 last night and in the scene where the man in the rope trap had his throat slashed they cut away before he was injured. :x
我想念我的家

Big_Guh
Haunt Master

Post by Big_Guh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:11 pm

I've had it on to serve as background noise over the weekend while attending to other things around the house, and was once again baffled to see none other than Arnold and the Predator battling on screen. I'm looking at my Jack O Lanterns, then back on screen at one of the most epic sci-fi, one on one battles in film history, then back at my Jack O Laterns, thinking to myself "I just don't see the connection. Predator, I love you man, but you and orange/black, withes, pumpkins, and ghouls just don't mix."

In all seriousness, Predator is a great film. (It's sequels, not so much). But, for the life of me, why screen a Predator Marathon a handful of days before Halloween? Nothing about the flick gives me the chills, or puts me in the Halloween spirit. If you're going to schedule a Predator Marathon, air it all day on, I don't know, a Tuesday earlier in October. Not primetime, on a Saturday, a few days before Halloween.

Rant over, AMC I usually love you, but c'mon!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:13 pm

That's how I am, too. I much prefer classic gothic type horror during the Halloween season. Witches, Ghosts, vampires, wearwolves, haunted houses and the like.

Mike

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm

serial killer movies would even be better than Predator for Halloween viewing.
我想念我的家