Another Halloween Gone...

Discussion of general Halloween topics
TheHallow1
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Another Halloween Gone...

Post by TheHallow1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 pm

You wait all year long for one day and just like that... it's gone.
Almost feels like a dream...
There's only one thing to do....

Time to start planning for next year! :D
Trick 'r Treat

Big_Guh
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Another Halloween Gone...

Post by Big_Guh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 am

I know exactly what you mean, as I always, inevitably endure a case of the Post-Halloween Blues. I dread taking my decorations down, not because of the work involved (well, that too), but I sincerely miss the vibes they evoke around my home.

Beginning in mid-late September, there just seems to be an ever-building sense of mystique and magic in the cooling Autumn air, that culminates on October 31st.

To me, such spooky, enigmatic excitement is exclusively palpable throughout the fall, and sort of extinguishes itself with the passing of Halloween, like a candle, at the end of the night, within a jack o lantern.

Over the course of my life, I've grown ever more connected with life's simple pleasures, such as the intangible feeling of the season. Halloween is nostalgia as it conjures wonderful images from days long past, while simultaneously providing endless opportunities for the construction of brand, spanking new, unforgettable experiences (such as new haunts, decorations, parties, invaluable times spent with family/friends etc).

I tremendously miss the magic when its over, and honestly feel a bit down when I realize how many days must pass before I can experience the aura of Halloween once more. It feels akin to returning home, to daily routine, from an amazing vacation.

Our time here is fleeting, however, and there are countless other items in life to turn our attention to, and to be excited about.

With that said, however, even in the depths of winter, or during full blossom of spring, or while floating upon the dog days of summer, Halloween is ALWAYS just beneath the surface in my world.

I'm doing my best to embrace the old addage, "Don't frown because its over, smile because it happened" and apply it to my life.

Easier said than done when it comes to Halloween coming and going as quickly as it does.

THe funny thing is, I explicitly remember posting thoughts similar to these in years past, which seem like hardly any time ago...

Sorry for rambling, guys. Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:47 am

That was a beautiful post, Big Guh. Unlike some people here, I also enjoy Christmas, so I am going to start looking forward to that holiday soon. However, I do have a special love for Halloween, obviously, or I wouldn't be here.

Fall is my favorite season, October is my favorite month, and Halloween is the zenith of the autumn. In the South, where I've spent my life, the summers can be absolutely brutally hot. You can feel so enervated by the end of August that fall, with its moderating temperatures, is a most welcome relief. The autumn really starts the season of celebration, too, and in the fall, much of that can still be done outdoors. About the only thing I really love to do that can't be done in the fall is swim. Otherwise, fall has it all over summer for fun times, I think.

I have actually left my Halloween decorations up and probably won't completely remove them until the 3rd. I owe Pumpkin Man a debt of gratitude for reminding me that "Hallowmas" is really a three-day festival, so I feel justified in holding onto it a little longer. Come November 3rd, though, I'll start turning my thoughts deliberately toward Thanksgiving. :D

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 pm

I agree with Murf. You summed up, in a few paragraphs, my EXACT feelings about Halloween and the season that preceeds it. I have one more night for the Halloween decorations, but tomorrow everything comes down. I don't feel "blue" about it, because I also enjoy the rest of the year, but being that Halloween is my favorite holiday, I do hate to see it over. Of course, next weekend, I start my Christmas cleaning, and this year is my turn to host my family Thanksgiving get-together, so I am going to be a busy boy. That's in addition to my busy photo schedule.

This is also "Fall Back" weekend, so while there will be daylight when I leave for work in the morning, it will be dark when I go home at night. I sure wish they would do "Fall Back" before Halloween.

At any rate, we have a whole year to plan fo rnext year, and I am going to find myself some large orang smoke bombs if it's the last thing I do!

Mike

VanHelsingStandIn
Master Reaper

Post by VanHelsingStandIn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Well said BG and Murph! You get a big Army Hoo-Ah for that one!!