Scarecrow Project

Discussion of general Halloween topics
SIEFKA
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Scarecrow Project

Post by SIEFKA » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 pm

This year for Halloween in my front yard I plan on making it a great yard haunt! I plan on having about 25 pumpkins total with them all throughout the yard and lit up. How I am going to light them all up I will worry about later. I thought about for a long time what else does my yard need and then I was able to come up with a great idea! My yard needs a scarecrow. One that rezembles a Halloween scarecrow not the type of nice ones you see at Michaels. So I started searching and I reached this topic:

http://www.spookyblue.com/halloween/sca ... recrow.htm

http://www.pumpkinrot.com

These guys are very talented! I was hoping more to rezemble the work of the first website since I am pretty sure I have a good idea. I have a few minor changes to this concept though. I was hoping to make mine out of wire. Since it would be made out of wire I will simply be able to reuse it over and over.

I went to the local tractor supply shop and I talked to the guy there and he recommended that I buy this type of wire. It only cost me $15, easy to bend, and thicker.

This is a picture of the wire:

I was thinking I could wrap this around a simple 2X4 and make it into his rib cage by bending it.

I also thought of the idea that I could buy a skeleton and just use his rib cage. I was thinking of painting it this darker brown. There have been a few projects around the house where we used this dark brown spray paint. I was thinking of spraying the entire scarecrow body this color. I love the papermache pumpkin head! I was wondering if you guys had some ideas since I am just starting on this project! I want to have a scarecrow that is very creepy!

I just can't wait until next Halloween,
'Cause I've got some new ideas
that will really make them scream!
And, by God, I'm really gonna give it all my might!

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Re: Scarecrow Project

Post by SIEFKA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I was reading more on this and I am thinking instead of doing a papermache pumpkin head simply because that will take a while I was thinking of doing a classic burlap mask. I plan on using this technique used in this video. The hardest part will be having to install a light on the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqFwzUY2OXc

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Well I decided to change my mind for the first part of the scarecrow. I still am considering the burlap head idea but I love the idea of using just sticks that I could find out in the empty lot the same place that I grow my pumpkins! So I will use those and make a scarecrow using sticks, wire, and rope. Since it will be already brown I will not have to do much. I have some old rustic spray paint that I will also use as well!

This is the new look I am going for! Thank you PumpkinRot for the idea!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 am

I think that it is a great idea! I would definitely nix the paper-mache head, as that wouldn't withstand rain. You don't want your project to melt if the weather turns bad!

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Yeah I thought about that after a while I realized that it will look better if I make the scarecrow almost human. I am wondering what to make the face out of though. I like the burlap idea and I will post another picture of pumpkinrot's scarecrow to show you one I actually liked better.

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:29 am

I have new updates on the scarecrow! I decided I liked the Johnny Appleseed scarecrow much better from pumpkinrot. I was able to find this very helpful site on how to make the scarecrow right here:

This is pumpkinrot's: Image

This is the website:

http://mizerella.blogspot.com/2012/05/31-scarecrow.html

I went to the same lot where I grow my pumpkins and I was able to find the perfect sticks and vine that I would need for my scarecrow! It took a lot of effort breaking them off but in the end it is worth it! I found the perfect vine that can be tied almost like a shoelace but is very thick will look great! I plan on going to goodwill to find the trenchcoat and the mask will be the hardest but most fun to make!

Here is the sticks that I have to far:

Here is the idea that I have for my yard now after much thought:

I am not sure on a few things though. So far it looks really good but I know that it can be better for sure! I am going to have the front lights off in the porch or maybe change the lights on them because it just takes away from the whole scene of the yard haunt. You will see what I mean when I show a picture of my house at night. I hope to have a different color bulb in the front light I was thinking maybe orange. I was thinking that I would have one of the stake ground lights pointed up towards the scarecrow that would be green to make him show up at night. Or if not green I was hoping for some light that would shine upwards that would light him up in a eerie type of way. I am not sure what else to add but I know there can always be more! I am open to all suggestions!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 am

Love your plans so far!

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sup9J38Mptg

At the 0.55 mark here is the light I decided that I am looking for to light up my scarecrow! Anyone know what type of light this would be? Or I was thinking of using a latern, something that is bright and gives off that yellow orange glow. I may plug them in I am not sure since that will be a far stretch. I may do a skeleton eating a pumpkin possibly or that could be the next year! I know for sure that I will want scary themed music. I am not sure if I want the kind in this guy's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbzRJlsW ... lf=mh_lolz

I love some of the footsteps walking I know for sure I do not want churchbells, I love the wind howling though! Any thoughts?

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Your plans are great! Love the videos too...