Cable Cutters

Talk about television shows, movies, music and more!
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Cable Cutters

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Murph, and anyone else who may be interested, most every station has their shows available on their website. With some it's only the most recent episode so you still have to set up some kind of schedule. It's a lot harder recording shows off the web DVR style than on cable TV, but it can be done. Easiest way to stream shows is signing up for services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. You can also buy episodes from services like Amazon, iTunes, Youtube, ect. There are also ways to get content from the undernet but you can get in big trouble if you get caught. I don't recommend.

Here's a handy site that helps you find what's available, and where. This site still has lots of bugs, specifically the email notification doesn't seem to work, but it's handy for finding content. There are other sites like this so some experimentation may be in order.

The trick is watching these shows on your TV. Recent devices, like blu-ray players and TVs, have streaming apps built right in, or you can buy add-on devices like Roku or Apple TV. Roku is supposedly more compatible with older TVs. If you are buying a device specifically to stream shows to your TV it's a good idea to make sure it has a browser app. Makes it easier to watch videos only located on the broadcaster's website, or anything else that's not available on one of the built-in apps.

A very interesting device for streaming to TV called Chromecast is now available. Made by our Google overlords but it's only $35. It plugs into an HDMI port on your TV and streams content from the Chrome browser on your computer or tablet over a wifi network. It also has built in apps. There are rumors it will eventually support streaming media straight from your computer or tablet. Convenient for those like me who download a lot of content.

You can build your own media device and content listings but that takes someone who's pretty tech savvy. Lately, I just rather watch shows on my other screen while sitting at the computer or on my iPad while sitting outside. For those who have an iPad, the Photon browser allows you to view Flash content on it. A couple bucks but worth it.

Now... go find something to watch...

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by Boogeyman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Roku is a great device that lets you stream video to your TV. It has Netflix and Hulu on it. You still have to pay for those services, but it allows you to watch the video on your tv instead of a computer type device. I have one mainly for The Blaze and it is in 1080p. There are also "channels" where you can watch movies for free. Granted they are mostly public domain movies but still free.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for the info! We actually do have a smart TV but haven't yet figured out how to use it. The other day my husband pressed some button and got an invitation to Hulu Plus, but he didn't want to sign up for it right then. Maybe we will go that route.

My kids already watch most of their TV on line. Ever since the Great Digital Revolution, our over-the-air reception (which used to be excellent) has become very hit-or-miss. It's always a trip to turn on the set and figure out what is going to be coming in that night.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 pm

My friends and I share the Netflix and Hulu Plus accounts. I don't really watch enough that I'm really willing to fork out $8 a month for each service but splitting it isn't so bad. Still a grey area with these services. I don't think they intend people to do this, nothing specific in Netflix terms of service, but until they start tying the IP address of the household to the account I'll keep doing it. Heck, Netflix has even made it easier by allowing you to setup up to 8 profiles. Just remember though, if the account is in your name and a friend breaks the Netflix or Hulu TOS, you're on the hook.

Edit: Murf, you telling me your kids can't get that TV working? I guess this is the equivalent to the clock on the VCR blinking 12:00?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Way back when, we actually knew how to get that clock working.

I'm sure my kids could "fix" the TV, but they have little interest in it. My daughter is always doing homework in her bedroom, where she relaxes by taking breaks with some TV on the computer. My son, the one who is still living at home, is a college sophomore and has tons of schoolwork, too. He never was very much into TV, really, and now it is pretty much dead to him.