Horror movies for Halloween 2007

For all your spooky, ghosty, haunted and otherwise Halloween-y television show discussions!
hauntmaster

Horror movies for Halloween 2007

Post by hauntmaster » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 pm

What kind of horror movies are you going to watch on Halloween this year?

For me, I don't care what I want to watch as long as I pick some good horror movies with a lot of blood and gory. :lol:

Spooky
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Spooky » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:04 pm

I hate new scary movies.

It has to be from the 70's and the 80's for me.

I don't even think there was ever a 90's movie I ever liked that was scary.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:34 pm

That sure is the truth - a lot of the scary movies out now are just dumb and poor quality. I happen to like the more mysterious movies as compared to the horror films. If I am going to watch a horror movie I usually opt for a classic.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:38 pm

The only new horror movie I saw in the last ten years that I liked was Nicole Kidman in THE OTHERS, which reminded me of one of my all-time favorites, THE INNOCENTS. Gory scenes do not interest me; mood, atmosphere, and chills do. One of the most frightening movies I ever saw was THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK, which was rated G.

This October, I'd like to catch up on a lot of good, old horror movies that I've never seen:

• THE RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE, with Bela Lugosi
• BLACK SABBATH, with Boris Karloff
• THE HAUNTING, the 1963 version
• CURSE OF THE DEMON, with Dana Andrews

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:32 am

Wasn't The Innocents a film version of Henry James' Turn of the Screw?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 am

geekmidwinter wrote:Wasn't The Innocents a film version of Henry James' Turn of the Screw?
Yes, I believe you are correct. If you Google Horror movie quiz you get a slew of sites with questions concerning every decade of horror movie.

My personal favs are the 30's and 40's movies. Although in recent memeory Blair Witch Project has been a favorite.

gator67
Zombie

Post by gator67 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Yes, I like the older horror movies better. 70's and 80's were quite scary.
:twisted:

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:33 pm

The October schedule for Turner Classic Movies is now online. Not as many Universal horrors as you might expect, because the AMC channel currently has a license for those. Nevertheless, lots of great movies. Enjoy!

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:12 pm

When it comes to Horror, as a genre, I think the most appropriate phrase is:

"They just don't make 'em like they used to..."

It's so true! All the recent horror films have been utter poop. They always have some pathetic hair of a plotline that they stretch to the very limit of plausibility, then add a bunch of good-looking teenagers, a geeky/ugly one that they can kill of in a more "emotional" way. Then they act in a completely stupid manner and get themselves killed using as much fake blood and unnecessary gore as is humanly possible. The worst thing is that because this has all become so mundane to audiences now, the director will add a bunch of loud BANGS to try and scare you instead of using excellent directing, acting, imagery and plot twists like they should. *sighs*

Some of the scariest films I have ever seen were ones with very little gore, like the Silence of the Lambs trilogy (amazing films.. Anthony Hopkins = genius) and other psychological thrillers. I did think films such as the original Ring were quite gripping and I can see why Western directors started to remake all the older Asian cinema horrors, because they are more surreal and work on psychological fear..althought even those are getting boring now. :roll:

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:27 pm

Oh my, sorry about the typos in that last post everyone - I'm ashamed to say that I'm doing an English Language degree :oops: lol

I just get a bit overexcited when it comes to all things Halloween and I type too quickly :?

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 pm

No sorriew nagickbeam!!! heaY I am full of sypot ometimes too!!!! xcitmentE setg me all onfusedc! LOL
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:31 pm

LMAO Pennywise I could just about read that ;) hehehehe!!! I have noticed that when typing emails or messages on other forums I am in fact quite literate.. but when I'm typing here I'm so overexcited that the words rush out and I click "submit" before I've even had chance to proofread it - I'm just that happy!!! :lol:

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:08 am

Spooky wrote:I hate new scary movies.

It has to be from the 70's and the 80's for me.

I don't even think there was ever a 90's movie I ever liked that was scary.
I just bought 28 Days later for $7 at Target, and it wasn't bad. Although there are some questions I have that didn't seem to get answered in the movie.
A guy at work just bought Host, mostly because his wife is Korean and the movie is set in her hometown. I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 am

I have to say I personally loved the 28 days later movie... I haven't seen the 28 weeks later yet, and kinda think it isn't gonna be as good but will diffinitly give it a go... I think the reason I liked it so much for was I didn't rent it, my b/f did on his way outta town so I asked him to pick up a couple of scary movies so I could watch while he was away (as he is not a fan) and anyway this was one of them... Well when I put it in the DVD player I had no idea what the movie was about or anything and it was just a great surprise and suspense for me. Loved it, and now own it!
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:09 am

A new movie called Hatchet is coming out tomorrow and is supposed to be a smart throwback to the 80's slasher flick, although it's getting buried in promotion by Halloween. The villain is Victor Crowley and some reviews are saying he might be the next horror icon. The website is up and could be worth checking into, I think I may see this one.

http://www.hatchetmovie.com/