Little Halloween 2023 is in October this year!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Little Halloween 2023 is in October this year!

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:51 pm

My kind of guy!

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:21 am

They used to have different categories for the contest at school, but that changed in recent years and they just have a general contest now. Other festivals and celebrations in the area still have categories including age range, group costumes, best looking, most unusual, cutest, and even scariest, as around here they don't mind gross costumes, even on kids.

I was a skinny book geek in school, so sports wasn't my thing, even though I'm tall and they wanted me to play basketball, I wasn't interested. The same with my wife, we both did PE, and were both active, but we didn't do team sports. For the record, that's what she told me, as we didn't know each other in school.

Both our girls are very active in school sports, they also both do martial arts classes, which we do worry about, but we know they are learning discipline and to defend themselves, so it doesn't bother us that much. But Phoebe does gymnastics, and I'll be honest with you when I say that terrifies us, even though she is young, we can tell that she has a passion for it, she is really good at it, and when she does 5 consecutive backflips in a row with a stable landing, she has that look of accomplishment on her face, but while we are watching her we are both happy and scared for her, because it just takes one wrong move and you could end up in a wheelchair. We know that she is careful, but we still worry about her, and we honestly hope that she finds something safer that she's interested in.

Anyway, we were supposed to go to the theater today to watch the Five Nights at Freddy's movie, but it was streaming online so we had the kids come over here and we had a small party. I won't spoil the movie, but I will say that it wasn't what I was expecting, and some scenes scared the kids pretty good. Tomorrow we will be going back to the place that does the murder mystery games, as they also have escape rooms, and other activities there that we want to try, and they have a haunted theme this weekend. It's just going to be family this time, so my sister and her family are going to be with the kids, while my wife and I are going to try to solve the adult level game. On Sun. I have to decorate the rest of my yard, and we might go out and do something as well.

I hope you both have a safe trip back Murf.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:35 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the girls gave me their letters to The Great Pumpkin last week, and they're anxiously awaiting his arrival on Halloween. I think that I might introduce them to Pumpkin Carols this year if we have the time for it, but I usually like to get in and out of there quickly to make sure he stays mysterious.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:49 pm

Oh, wow! So the Great Pumpkin visits?

When I was little, and an only child, my Easters were almost like Christmas. So of course i started doing that with my own children. Three kids in, I was very sorry I had established that tradition. I'd hardly recovered in any way from the holidays, and there I was, doing it all again. But if y'all can afford it and it gives you joy, go for it!

I never wanted my daughter in gymnastics, for the reasons you mention. However, it is a beautiful sport. Your daughter might become a cheerleader someday. The girls do tricks like that on the football field.

We are on the road in Central KY right now, son driving. It was rainy in OH and murky/misty in north/central KY, but, so far, so good.

We have the Sirius Halloween channel playing in the background, and have seen many festive displays of Halloween spirit in the small towns.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:06 pm

I told Mike and Andy about this awhile ago, but every year I dress up as The Great Pumpkin and bring presents for the kids on Halloween day. I've been doing it since the year Sam was born, she was only a few months old on her first Halloween, and I still have the picture from that day in my office at work, and every time I look at it I always remember our first Halloween as a family, and it's probably one of my most favorite moments that I've had in my life. It got even better when Phoebe was born, and for the last few years I've enjoyed the fun moments that I've had dressing up for them, and I love the look on their faces when The Great Pumpkin shows up. For the costume, I just wear a black cloak and a full pumpkin head mask, and I do a soothing, but scary voice.

I used to dress as Santa and the Easter Bunny for them when they were younger, but I stopped when Sam was 5 because I knew she would be able to tell it was me as she was getting older. Now we have a friend and his wife that dress as Santa and Mrs. Santa to visit the kids during the holidays, his wife also dresses as the Easter Bunny for them. He's a older gentleman so he is better for the role anyway, and I'm glad that I get to stand there and enjoy the fun with the kids when they visit.

We wanted to get Phoebe into music, and we even told her that we would get her a guitar or drums, but she doesn't want to learn to play a instrument, she just wants to sing the songs not play them. We hope that she will eventually grow out of gymnastics, but even if she doesn't, she will still have our full support.

We had a fun, but long day, these kids don't ever run out of energy, and there is still more for tomorrow. I'm glad that you enjoyed the scenery on your trip back home.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:35 pm

That does sound like great holiday fun!

I'm not much of an instrumentalist, though I did take piano for four years, so I learned how to read music. That is important even if your daughter wants to be a singer primarily. I would recommend having her at least start an instrument if she wants to sing, because it is a handicap not to be able to read the notes. Most people suggest starting with piano because it is versatile. The electronic keyboards they make now are fine for beginners and not nearly as expensive as the full piano is.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:46 pm

I tried piano, trombone and trumpet but just can't play music.

Most of my immediate and extended family can play one or more instruments, as well as sing.

Heck, one of my nieces received her PHd in music a couple of years ago, and last year began an assistant professor of music position at George Mason.

...I can play my radio...
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:04 am

Oh. So she's in VA?

I'm not an instrumentalist, haven't touched a piano in decades except for pitches or to plunk out a voice part. But it always surprises me when we get an adult choir member who can't read music. I mean, everybody is so busy that committing to a choir after work, etc, is a big deal for most people. It is surprising to me that people care enough to make that commitment when they are impeded by not being able to read the notes.