what is the history of landfalls for huricanes in the US?

Introduce yourself and talk about other things, that do not fit elsewhere...but are hurricane related.
johna

what is the history of landfalls for huricanes in the US?

Postby johna » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 am

I am thinking of Buying a place in a warm climate close to the ocean in the US. I like Florida but insurance costs, hurricane damge, etc scares me as an investment. Is there data on what areas have "missed" most hurricanes but are on or close to the ocean in Texas, Florida, AL, Georgia, Miss, LA, Etc? Thanks!

hurricane
Site Admin
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Re: what is the history of landfalls for huricanes in the US?

Postby hurricane » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:57 am

There are some areas that have had fewer landfalls

There is a map that shows the period 1950-2007, here:
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/se ... ne2007.pdf

As you can see there are some areas that have been hit less than others. However, remember that the storm may be 100, 200 or 300 miles across and the "points" of impact are just that, where the eye crossed land. And things like Hurricane Andrew coming ashore south of Miami, going across the state so doing damage along the way.

There are maps that include longer periods here:
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/sev ... canes.html

I live in Florida (I have lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area, Miami, Key Largo, and Northeast Florida, plus San Diego) and while hurricanes are something to be prepared for and something to factor in, I wouldn't base my decision solely on it.

:-)

It is like earthquakes in some areas or forest fires or tidal waves or huge winter snow storms etc. they just become a part of living in a nice area.

johna wrote:I am thinking of Buying a place in a warm climate close to the ocean in the US. I like Florida but insurance costs, hurricane damge, etc scares me as an investment. Is there data on what areas have "missed" most hurricanes but are on or close to the ocean in Texas, Florida, AL, Georgia, Miss, LA, Etc? Thanks!

PaulyVard
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Re: what is the history of landfalls for huricanes in the US

Postby PaulyVard » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Check out the storm tracks sections of this site - www.hurlos.com. You can see and map all the past hurricanes that made landfall as well as see the probability they have of striking.

Return to “Intro And General Discussion”