the chances of gustav hitting near port arthur tx.

Introduce yourself and talk about other things, that do not fit elsewhere...but are hurricane related.
godswarrior2010

the chances of gustav hitting near port arthur tx.

Postby godswarrior2010 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Hey,I have family that lives in beaumont tx,does any one have an insight on the chances of Gustav hitting near there,where there could be damage?

Godswarrior2010

Chris

Re: the chances of gustav hitting near port arthur tx.

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:16 pm

The short answer is that no one knows for sure. ;-)

The long answer is that it looks like Beaumont is in the area that could get hit. My ***guess*** is that they will get some wind and rain from it. The extent of the wind and rain is the real question. They should definitely prepare - Hurricane.com has a page on preparations as does the NHC etc - but get some water, food, remove loose items from outside, stuff like that should be done. If they don't have an evacuation plan and are in an evacuation zone, they should think about what they're going to do. Beaumont has info on their website (http://www.cityofbeaumont.com/Eoc.htm) dealing with the issues and what they recommend and require. Beaumont's website also has a nice PDF file on steps to be taking now, at worst they'll be prepared and not need it vs not being prepared and needing it.

Sunday morning we'll know a lot more, so if it looks like it is still in the zone tomorrow morning, I would advise them to make sure they are doing everything that they can to get ready as quickly as possible if they haven't already done a lot of it. Right NOW it looks like Beaumont will be on the west side of the storm which generally has somewhat lower winds than the right, front side. For a large wind field that won't matter too much, but it could spare them the worst part of the storm.

If you have been following the storm the last 3 days each update has put the center of the "cone" further to the west and since it was weaker, that is typical. Now that it has strengthened it will be interesting to see if that continues and I think a lot will depend upon how much its passage across Cuba weakens it. In all likelihood, it won't be weakened a lot when it crosses Cuba since it is not as mountainous as other areas and is quite narrow where it looks like it will cross.

godswarrior2010 wrote:Hey,I have family that lives in beaumont tx,does any one have an insight on the chances of Gustav hitting near there,where there could be damage?

Godswarrior2010

godswarrior2010

Postby godswarrior2010 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm

hey Chris thanks for the info, :) I will tell them about it,how strong do u think gustav will be when it makes landfall?The weather channel said that it would weaken b4 it hit.

spacecitycomics

Postby spacecitycomics » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:20 pm

This is a VERY dangerous storm. An exponential amount worse than we suffered in
Hurricane Rita 3 years ago. I know the BM/PA/PNG area very well. Low lying areas
SE of Beaumont/Nederland need to keep cautious watch and stay tuned to KLVI 560 AM
radio for evacuation. I believe I have a link to a live KLVI 560 AM webfeed, or will shortly.
Storm surge projections suggest that Sabine Pass and areas
as far south as Galveston could experience elevated tides and a possible storm surge.
Specifics for these areas are not currently known. Expected storm surge for Cat 4
storms are an estimated 15-18 standard feet, and depending on off shore coast
ramping depth could be as high as 35-40 feet.

hurricane
Site Admin
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Postby hurricane » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:09 am

I do not think anyone knows the strength it will hit with. It is a cat 3 now, probably will re-strengthen to a cat 4 (according to NHC), but then may re-weaken to a cat 3. If it were me facing a cat 3 or 4 (or 5) I'd do what the local officials say. That probably means evac if they are in low areas. spacecitycomics had some good advice with regard to local radio etc. Also, check out the city's web site and they'll say what to do. Whatever it is though, it looks like the areas where it is headed will be getting weather later today, so they should do things ASAP!

Wish them luck from all of us!

godswarrior2010 wrote:hey Chris thanks for the info, :) I will tell them about it,how strong do u think gustav will be when it makes landfall?The weather channel said that it would weaken b4 it hit.

zuraizan

Postby zuraizan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi, my name is Zuraizan and I am a student.
I lived in a part of asia that is not affected by hurricane before and I was curious.
I was wondering how did you spot a hurricane coming?
Do you made a shelter in one part of your house to protect from the hurricanes or what methods do you do to protect yourself by the strong hurricanes if you did not have enough time to evacuate from the affected places?

I hope you guys could help with the questions. Thanks:)

Return to “Intro And General Discussion”