March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934)

Discussion of general Halloween topics
tomanderson
Halloween Master

March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934)

Post by tomanderson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:19 pm

March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934) is that great Laurel and Hardy fantasy movie set in Toyland. For years it has often been run on TV around Thanksgiving and Christmas (it's more of a Christmas movie, but it is weird enough to be a Thanksgiving movie). If you haven't seen it, it features quite a lot of scary stuff including evil Silas Barnaby (played by Henry Brandon) and hundreds of horrible Bogey Men monsters...pretty scary! Most of the fairytale animal characters are also a little creepy looking!

I just discovered that there have been several DVDs of this out for some years. I had no idea. Now you can get a DVD that has both the original black and white version and the colorized version.

Not bad for easing out of your post-Halloween blahs!

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Haunted Horseman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Hey Tom, just today I posted about this movie on Santaclause.com. That's really good to know that it can be purchased on DVD. Just and FYI. it is playing on WPIX on Thanksgiving morning on 9am est. Check your local listing. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Last edited by Haunted Horseman on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

Cadaverino
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Cadaverino » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:21 am

I bought the DVD with black & white and colorized versions. The colorization is well done, and most appropriate for this children's storybook of a movie. I'm sure Hal Roach would have made it in color if he could have afforded it.

I have a very nice memory of seeing this for the first time as a child, at a Saturday matinee. I was a big Laurel & Hardy fan, and rode my bike to the theater to see it.