Pumkin patch

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MyersFan1
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Pumkin patch

Post by MyersFan1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey everyone! When i grew up i lived very close to a small country town which was very neat around Halloween season. One thing i remember in particular were the old pumkin patches that the farmers harvested year after year. A few of these pumkin patches were opened to the public at the beginning of October and people could acutally go into the pumkin field and pick the pumkin of their choice right off the vine! When i was little and the Fall season came the first thing i wanted to do was to visit the pumkin patch. It became a Halloween tradition to my family to get a few pumkins from the patch on Halloween eve and make very creepy looking jack-o-lanterns. For about 3 years ive been looking for a rustic pumkin patch like the one i used to visit but cannot find one. i was just wondering if anyone in this forum has a pumkin patch somewhat like that near you. Please get back to me if you can. Thanks

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Myersfan - some of our local farmers open their pumpkin patches to the public, particularly to preschools and elementary schools. When my son was two years old we took a hayride out to one of the farms and he got to pick out his own pumpkin. He still enjoys watching the video we made of him toddling around the patch with his pumpkin necklace...and he's 17 years old now!!! Check out your local farms and see if allow pumpkin picking. You're right, great memories.
Don't drink and fly...

Athenagwis
Crypt Keeper

Post by Athenagwis » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:17 pm

We actually have several patches like that here in NH. There are ones where you can pick it right off the vine, but a lot of them will pick the pumpkins for you, but then spread them out in a huge field, so you still get that feeling of running around searching for the best pumpkin, but you don’t have to try and pull it off the vine, which is great. Most of these places also do apple picking and have Hay rides, corn mazes, and Hot apple cider. I love going to these, it makes it feel so much like fall!! Good luck in finding one in your area!

Rachel

MyersFan1
Halloween Master

Post by MyersFan1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:17 pm

Yeah i can definitly remember when i was that young one running around the pumkin patch. And yes i will have to call the local farmers to see if they open to the public, thanks for the feedback LawP!

tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by tantraman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:07 pm

we have like 5 but there getting all commericalized you have to buy the rides buy there 6.00 cider and 15.00 corn mazes. but its all in good fun.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:01 pm

We dont have many small pumpkin patches around us but up in starlight Indiana there is a farm called Hubors. They have a HUGE pumpkin patch. You take a hayride to the patch and get to pick your pumpkin and pay by the weight. They end up being really inexpensive and so much fun. They also have lots of fall goodies like homemade cider.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:06 pm

we've got tons in pennsylvania
trick or treat

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:44 pm

Here in California. we do have a number of pumpkin patches that pop up in vacant lots...people basically truck in pumpkins from somewhere and set up a "patch" and you buy them based on their weight. Usually these places are decorated in a festive theme, and they are fun to check out. I love pumpkin patches, and I remember going to one when I was really small!!